Lumpy Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by csj1, Mar 30, 2004.

1. csj1

csj1 LawnSite Member
    from ID

Over the past few years my lawn is becoming lumpy here in Idaho. You can tell just by walking on the lawn with your shoes on. Does anyone know what can cause this? It I aerate the lawn will this cure the problem or do I have to role the lawn? If aerating fixes the problem can I do this now or do I have to wait until the fall. Any help is greatly appreciated. The grass is a Kentucky Blue grass mix.

2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Did you forget to harvest the potatoes last year? :D Could be moles. Aerating is always beneficial to a lawn. Fall or spring or both is a good time for aerating.
  3. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

try rolling this year before aerating have a pro come in with a heavy pavement roller
  4. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

If you still have the bumpy lawn, consider doing a good power raking to knock em down a bit. Usually they are the mounds caused by worms. That of course is a good thing. After the worms bring the soil to the surface the small mound drys hard due to the wonderful arid air and if there is much clay in your soil it some what hardens.

With the heat, it would be best to wait until fall so you don't stress the turf too much.

Go out in your lawn at night with a flash light while your sprinklers run and see if you have a strong population of worms.
  5. csj1

csj1 LawnSite Member
    from ID

Thanks for the heads up. I think this is the problem. I definitely have quite a few worms if the bird population is any indication every morning dinning in my back yard. I will try the power raking this fall.