Lunch time on the job...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PR0 TURF, Jan 28, 2004.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

For those of you with employees, or who work for a company...how do you handle lunch time on the job??

If we are doing maintenance, we will usually stop by a sub shop/fast food and take a 30 minute (Paid) lunch.

If we're doing irrigation or are on a job all day we will order food and get it delivered to the jobsite.

Some days if things are very busy etc we will grab lunch on the go & eat in the trucks etc...I don't like doing it and the guys dislike it also.

One company in our area has all crews meet back at there shop at noon, and they all take a 45 minute (unpaid) break and go off on there own.

:blob3:

2. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

The unpaid break at the shop sounds like a good idea. When I've had guys in the past we've always stoped at a park or just ate in the vehical. Usually my guys bring their own lunch but I'll leave it up to them weather or not we stop for fast food. I just play it by ear. For a big crew (I've only had 4 guys working for me and thats only when I do municipal work) going back to the shop is the way I'd go. Gives em all a chance for a chat, feed and a breather in familiar suroundings.

3. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

We do small residential and we eat on the move.

4. Florida 5 Star

Florida 5 Star LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Paid lunch break and I treat for lunch, I enjoy the time to sit down and reflect on the morning and get the crew ready for the afternoon whork shift.

5. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

Pretty much the same routine. Every day is different, so you have to be flexible.

ProTurf: I like Will-Nicks Diner when I'm out yer way.

6. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

You pay for lunch every day or once in a while?!? How many guys do you buy for? Must get rather pricey...
    I treat for lunch when its way too hot out, or if i know we are going to have to work later than usual.

TreeGodFather: Will-Nick's Diner on the lake...we drive by it probably 5x per week...but have never stopped in there yet. Have to try it out soon.

7. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

I buy now and then, depending on how profitable the job is and how much the crew is busting hump.

I also prefer the breaks where we get to sit down; gives us a chance to plan our strategy, so-to-speak.

Then, there's been days I've had lunch sent up into the tree and just ate up there. Those were kind of fun, actually!

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

30 minutes paid and the guys bring their lunch.

9. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I pack my lunch and sit down on my customers property and eat it. LOL

10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

We either stop at a fast food or if they brought their lunch we will eat in the truck. Usually fast food though as it doubles as a bathroom stop too. I pay them during lunch. Try to keep it to 30 minutes. I PAY for all that work on Saturday. Usually do a big commercial job on Saturday morning. When we're done we go to a Ponderosa Steakhouse or similar for the lunch buffet.

Mike