LV wire through exterior wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by FThera, Jun 19, 2007.

1. FThera

FThera LawnSite Member

What is the correct way to run Low Voltage wire through an exterior wall?

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Hire a contractor who knows what he is doing :laugh:

Most transformers are not rated for indoor mounting anyways. But to answer your question... it must be in conduit

3. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

Properly sized conduit as per nec fill calculations. We run a lot of wire in the crawl space, but maintain our transformers outside as much as possible.

4. FThera

FThera LawnSite Member

5. Pro-Scapes

:laugh: was it a lighting contractor or a landscaper....i would be calling them back and making sure than trans is rated for indoor mounting and make them install conduit before spooging it up

and note i said hire a contractor WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING.... i didnt just say hire a contractor.:laugh:

6. FThera

FThera LawnSite Member

It was a HIGH END Lighting Contractor. They have an office and display garden that I would say should easily would be worth $6-700,000. That's a BIG nut. A lot of the splices I saw, didn't look to great either.

T

7. Pro-Scapes

wow... scary... My house isnt even worth that but my splices and work are :) Im in this because I have a passion for it not to build huge offices and display gardens.

Email me thru my website. I would love to know who this person is.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

a few folks like light-house franchise, and my buddy in chicago ONLY mount inside, preferably in the garage on the outside wall.

mount on stud, 3/4 " conduit, through wall and into ground out side, then out of conduit. I like outside, but really, these things should be safe inside.

9. Pro-Scapes

should be and what they are rated for is different. Im sure they will be fine inside but they are not all rated for it therefore its a liability issue. Im sure with snow areas and such it should actually be a bit safer inside but then again I cant reccomend it or do it without a trans rated for it.

Another issue is serviceability.. Someone has to be home on your service visits.

10. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

The largest landscape lighting company in the US mounts on the inside in my area.