LX985 Newholland

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by muddstopper, Dec 7, 2005.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I am trying to decide whether to buy a skidsteer. I am in dire need of a forklif to unload 2000lb pallets off flatbed trucks. I hate to buy a peice of equipment that has only one real use. I can find other uses for a skidsteer if I had one. I have found a 1999 LX985 New holland that will more than lift the loads I have, 2900lb lift capacity. The guy is asking $10,500. It has 2900 hrs on it but is supposed to be in tiptop shape. I havent seen it yet. The pic's look like original paint and it isnt beat up, new tires and comes with a GP bucket. Hydrostactic drive. Need opinions on the price since I havent actually priced other skidsteers to see if the guy is in the ballpark.
    Thanks.

2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i just sold an 01 NH ls 170 with 600 hours on it for 14,500 and it was in great shape..

3. muddstopper

I am not really making the connection between the machine you are selling and the one I am considering buying. Are you saying the LX985 with the higher hours is worth more? or less? the same? than the smaller machine that you just sold.

I havent gotten to see the machine yet, but I have worked equipment all my life and think once I see the machine, I feel I can accurately judge its abilities, just trying to make sure the machine isnt overpriced since I dont have any experience in the buying and selling of this type of equipment. Lightest equipment I operate weighs 32 tons, not counting my hydroseeders.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That isn't a bad price, but it isn't that great considering the amount of hours on the machine. 3,000 hours is alot on a skid steer. I would consider something else with about half as many hours and a maybe a couple years older for about $2K-$3K more.

5. muddstopper

Thanks Scag, my problem is finding one with the lift capacity to handle heavy pallets. Since I started looking I have found a lot of smaller machines at lower prices but all the big ones seem to cost much more. With this storm coming in the machine will probably be gone before i can go look at it anyways. I cant see driving 500 miles round trip in snow and ice dragging a trailer.

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't know if its worth more or not. im just saying thats what i sold my machine for and I had a bunch of people look at it who all were willing to pay the same price range...

7. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I think that $10,500 for a high-hour NH is a bit much as well.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it's not so much the year, it's the hours. 3,000 hours is pretty much the end of a skid steer without having to rebuild/extensive repair. I'd keep looking, something will come up.

9. muddstopper

I will agree to this reasoning. Of course at 3000 hrs some maintenance has had to have been done. More correspondance with the owner is probably my next step. I am not looking for a machine to work everyday, just need something to unload trucks and will make other work for the machine. Not in any real hurry to buy something, wont need it before spring, just thought I might have found a bargain, I guess not.

Thanks for all the replies.

10. muddstopper