Lye or Lime to get rid of grubs?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by loweride, May 10, 2006.

1. loweride

loweride LawnSite Member

Someone told me that lye (or lime?) can be spread on your yard to get rid of the grubs that moles eat -- and it is only $2-$3 a bag at the local farm Co-op.

Is this true? If so, anything I need to know about spreading this?

2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

lime will not get rid of grubs,it will balance ph in acid soils.try grubex or milky spore for an organic solution.good luck.by the way lye is nasty stuff i wouldnt mess with it.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Dylox gets rid of grubs the quickest IMO.

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you licensed to apply pesticides? Lime won't cure your grubs. Use merit, right around the time the egg’s hatch. Dylox is a curative; use it to kill young actively feeding grubs.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Lime will kill grubs as much as getting rid of the grubs will cure the mole problem.

6. loweride

loweride LawnSite Member

So you're saying that getting rid of the grubs will NOT cure the mole problem?

What is the best way?

7. loweride

loweride LawnSite Member

No - not licensed. I read that on the other thread - that you are supposed to have a license - even to spread the stuff you buy at walmart.

Thanks for the info though.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No....getting rid of the grubs will NOT get rid of the moles. Do some research on moles, and you will find some interesting facts, along with some resolve to many of the myths that have trailed moles over the years. Though grubs are a delicacy for moles, their main diet is earthworms. However, as insectivores, they eat anything that comes in or near their runs. They are even known to eat mice within their runs. They are very territorial.