1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lyme Disease

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir mowsalot, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Moderator please dont send this post elsewhere, it is important that all the guys on the forum who mow and are around trees and shrubs read this.

As we are in a profession that is high risk to this disease i need to write to let you guys know about some things, cause if you get this disease you dont want to play around with it.

I got it back in early May, and started treatment 4-5 weeks later. I lost around 25% of my customers because i couldnt do the work. Had i not gotten treatment i would definately be out of business by now. This stuff pounds you hard, and will knock you down and there aint nothin you can do about it. I might be on my way to recovery but only time will tell, hopefully this will be a thing of the past.

Only 30% of the people infected ever get the classic bulls eye rash from the tick bite, i diddnt have one so dont think you dont have it if you didnt get a rash. If you suspect you might have it dont go to your family physician, because the tests they use are only about 20% accurate, i failed two blood tests and they told me i did not have lyme disease, its a good thing i didnt listen to them. Go to a LLMD(lyme literate medical doctor), (you can find one in your area by going to LYMENET.ORG) they will give you an accurate test, again i cant stress this enough, if you suspcet you have lyme disease dont PISS around!!!!! Dont let a typical doctor convince you that the tests they use are accurate, they ARE NOT! I didnt know any of this, and i happend on a lyme website and got an education in a hurry.

When i first got it i thought i had the flu(which is very common). It went away and kept coming back, then i was slammed with an incredible weakness in my muscles and extreme fatigue. I got so dizzy i could hardly use the z or even drive my truck.

If you do get lyme and dont get treated immediately it can turn into chronic lyme and then your up the river, becuase it progresses into other things and in some cases even blindness.

For whatever reasons i dont know, typical family physicians are reluctant to serioiusly check for lyme disease expecially if you dont have the bulls eye rash, and lyme is the great imitator. It mimics so many other illnesses. The first doctor told me i have depression and anxiety. Can you flippin beleive that?

I just wanted to write this so you guys are a little more educated and if you ever get it you'll know at least a little as to what to do.
  2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

My dad got it severel yr.s ago and got cured of it. Says it was God, but he still has never fully regained his full health, ext.
  3. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

I got it last year in ct working on a golf course. thing kicked my butt to.. its hard thing to have when all you half to do is work.. id work 12 hrs a day plus and then go back to our hotel and strate to bed... it was hard dealing with it.. but I got it treated for early on.. I sure hope you are ok!!!!!! Keep us updated.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, it can be really serious stuff.

My wife has chronic lyme disease.
  5. Sir mowsalot

Give your wife my best. How is she doing?
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

got in the early summer of '99 luckily woke up with the bulls-eye on my thigh one sunday morning and knew what it was...did antibiotics immedately but it was still an awful year for me.

how in the f***ing world can something like that so small make someone so sick I would like to know?
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

She actually does pretty well with it now. I don't even pretend to understand it all that well. But she had to be treated a very long time for it. Like I said, I'm not all that educated about it, but from what I understand she is now occasionally suffering the after-effects of it, which is the chronic part.

It did some damage that she'll always have. Tissue damage, joint damage, nerve damage and so forth. She seems to have the most problems now with severe stinging sensations. These come and go, but she has been doing really well and not getting them a lot lately.

For the record, she did not get the classic bulls eye from the tick bite either.
    In fact, she just got sick an collapsed.
    Nobody had any idea what was wrong, so they just started testing for everything.

Good luck with it man. I hope you have a speedy recovery and I hope you do not suffer any lasting effects.
  8. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

wow that must suck. i give my best to u. also your wife envy.
  9. Sir mowsalot

I know. I ask myself that question all the time. It seems impossible that a tiny little tick can inflict such huge damage. This stuff aint nothin to play around with thats for sure.
  10. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey just a quick post on this topic....I had lyme disease back in the summer of 2000. I just graduated highschool and was working for a local landscape company. One day I woke up and didnt feel right, really didnt think anything of it just thought I was probably getting sick. Boy I was right, I got hit hard couldnt do anything very weak and very tired. This lasted for about a week then I went to the doctor he told me that I had mono. So I layed in bed for a few days nothing happened. About 3 days later I woke up one morning and I had trouble moving my eyelids and moving my mouth. I went to my kitchen and ate something for breakfast and noticed things didnt taste right. By the end of the day I lost complete control and feeling in the right side of my face. I then went to the hospital. I had this strange virus called Bells Palsey. One of the side effects of lyme disease apparently when it is in its early stages is Bells Palsey. I got a blood test and tested positive for Lyme had to start taking this huge horse pill antibiotics. The paralyzed face lasted for 3 weeks. My doctor told me that he never saw someone so young ever get Bells Palsey but thats just to show you, lyme disease is something definitely not to mess around with its very serious.