MA applicators license

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shuter, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Studing now for the MA Applicators License. The test is not until May, so I have plenty of time to study. Anyone from MA ever take the exam or does anyone have any pointers for the test.

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I'm in MA. Have taken the test several times over the years.

Ahh, the good ole days when it was open book!

Personally I feel the test is pretty much common sense. Read your study material, use the question page at the end of each chapter it will prove to be very helpful.

Typically there is 10-15 questions on label reading. They will supply a product label as part of the test. So its just a matter of reading to find the correct answers.

Be relaxed, its all multiple choice. Skip the questions you don't know the answer to immediately and come back to them latter.

Biggest piece of advice I can offer: BE there on time! You will not be allowed in if you are late! They are very strict on this policy.

Good luck.

PS
    I give this info reluctantly, since we will be entering the Upper Cape market this season. Sounds like you are my competitor. So, I take back my 'good luck'

just joking. If you need help, just post in here, I'll be glad to help anyway I can

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

TSM, thanks for the reply. If you are entering the Upper Cape market, you will find that there is more work out there than there are companies to do it. I have a small business with a nice little niche market in one neighborhood. Higher end homes. Started with 5 accounts three years ago and now have 14 in the neighborhood. I turn down more work than I take in. Right now I am only a one man show and kind of like it that way. I have 20 maintenance accounts and 20 other property management accounts. Most companies are much bigger than me, so I may not be much competion. If you want to talk more email me at ffshuter@hotmail.com

Thanks again.

4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

By the way, you probably know this, but if you are just planning on appling fertilizer no license is required. Good idea to get one though, sooner or later you will need to apply a pesticide (weed control, insect control, disease control)
    Good Luck