1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

MA lco's.... weather affecting your adv. hit rates??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnywill08, Apr 17, 2007.

1. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

i'm getting frighteningly low response to my ads this year and i'm hoping my timing wasn't off, that its just the weather and the phone'll be ringing more in the next two weeks, but i do good biz off the local papers and my agreements with them are up in 2 wks. i'd rather not dbl up on that investment, but i count on 15-20 new customers every year to support growth of my co, and it AIN'T happening this year.

just seeing what people are geting for calls so far and wondering if its just the weather, or i'm unlucky (and screwed) this spring....
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Usually late March into early April is the best time for advertising around here. But our weather has just plain SUCKED! If it isn't 40 and raining its 30 and snowing. We ran our ad in the time mentioned above and we happen to get decent nice weather and the calls were coming, the this last 2 weeks of weather sent customers into hybernation. This week is supposed to get decent out again,60's and sunny, we'll see. Just keep advertising.
  3. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

put up a few dozen flyers in some PRIME spots, usually by this time would have already got atleast 6-10 calls, not one yet this season , but we are booked out 1 month right know so im not to conserned + we start weekly mowning in proubly 2 to 3 weks, then we are really going to be backed-up!

good luck to you!
  4. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I have not started advertising yet. I'm checking the weather and waiting until we get a couple nice days.
  5. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't advertise, but usually get a bunch of calls in the spring. This year has been weak to say the least. I already have plenty of work and started mowing schedule today so I don't care. I'll only be taking new clients convenient for me this year. I got one bag full of grass for 12 lawns today! Where the heck is spring? Have you seen it? I can't find it.
    I'm sure calls will pick up this weekend when it's nicer. And lawns actually grow and need to be cut...don't stress it.
  6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

up here in the north east. Not just for LCO's, but EVERYONE. This winter with no snow, and now spring with no......well, spring things to do.

Everyone is feeling the hurt.

I'm thinking this weather and lack of buisness is going to weed out alot of the competition for those fly by night guys with all the new truck , trailers and equipment............and PAYMENTS with no INCOME.

Usually happens once every few years.

The Lawn care professional was due to take a good dump.:waving:
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I kno u dont want to hear this but down here in TEXAS I started in MArch and I'm finding I was a little late on contract bids. they start taking them in Jan.
  8. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Slowest April and call wise and work wise ever. I have been in the biz for 10 yrs.
  9. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

looks like i picked a bad year to quit sniffin glue....

and to expand my workforce, and to buy a new truck, and to triple my usual advert expenditures..... anyone have any good news?

besides the fact that you switched to geico?