MAC brand fertilizers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PaulJ, Jan 14, 2004.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone used MAC brand fertilizers? They are bagged at Valley Nebraska near Omaha. I am used to Lesco quality and consistency but a local supplier is going to carry the mac brand. I haven't seen prices yet but if I could get the stuff locally it would save me a few 250+mile round trips to the lesco dealer. The available formulations look like they will fit my program, and the samples they had LOOK well blended and consistent. Last time I strayed from Lesco I ended up with splotches and streaks. I don't want that to happen again.
    Also the Mac uses team preemergent instead of the pre-m that Lesco used. Does anyone have any experience comparing team to pre-m?

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

We (Lesco) can ship to you. Check with your salesperson.

Team (bottom shelf) does a good job especially on Spurge. Stains less too. I still sell some for that reason.

Pre-M (middle shelf) is a tiny bit better in the other expected areas & offers the rarely discussed benefit of early post-emergent crabgrass control. Pre-M also is more quickly "set" into the soil making it the most "forgiving" of the pre-emergents.

Dimension (top shelf) is my personal favorite though not as good on broadleaf weeds. Not much better than Pre-M on emerged Crabgrass considering it does have the reputation of being a lot better. The marketing is what's better really. But no staining at all.

We also have Stonewall (aka Barricade) which just doesn't work well here in New England/Metro NY & I couldn't give it away. LOL

As for "Mac". I'm sorry. I've never seen it so I can't comment.

Hope this helps.

Steve

3. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Is MAC an AG grade. Check for quality, dusty product makes for a long application round. Remember all ferts are not the same.

Different mfg use different screening process's. Not all raw ingredients are the same.

M

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info Tremor. The Lesco in Lincoln has delivered to me a few times but I don't use enough to give them a full load so I have to piggy back on someone elses order. Not always timely for me. I almost went with demensions last year but stuck with the pre-m split app and had good results until about 8 weeks after the second app. The idea of Team being good on spurge intrests me because I had a big problem with that last year.
    Mscotrid, the Mac plant is owned by an Ag coop but they say they are very particular about quality and consitency and the samples I saw were very uniform in prill size and blend. They are not marketing it as AG grade at all but bag for turf use. If I wanted AG grade, there is a new bulk facility going up a quarter mile from me where they are bringing in produce in hopper cars on rail, blending it and trucking it out. Maybe I could just have them dump some in the back of my pickup. NOT.
    I have to wait and see how these guys come out on price. If it's comparabel I might try some on a few lawns but probably wont use it on all until I can see first hand results. I like the idea of having a supplier in the same town where I am working.