mach 2

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Feb 14, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

any feedback on this product? we been using merit, with no regrets, but would like any feedback on the mach 2 either as a preventative or a curative

2. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

i mite be thinking of something different does it stain into a purple fabric

3. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Mach 2 is better as a currative. I just took a class at Rutgers and learned that Mach 2 has very little effect on the oriental bettle grub which is the most common in NJ. I was not happy to hear this because I use Mach 2 ,but now I'm reluctantly swtching to merit. I do not like the way merit spreads do to its odd shape.

4. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I ve had massive faliure with mach 2 , it dosent work on european chaffer as well, Merit is far better, more money but you get what you pay for

5. Ray@LebanonTurf

Ray@LebanonTurf LawnSite Member

Mach 2 is a better curative and at the new rates should work as well as Merit on just about all grub species. Keep in mind that he rates were just increased significantly on the label within the last year. Failures going back two years may be due to the lower rates that admittedly were not as effective.

If cost is a concern and you are an IPM operator ask yourself why you would go wall to wall with Merit when you can treat with Mach 2 on an as needed basis?

6. James Cormier

from Ma

Read the label buckwalter, cause mach 2 still admits to very poor euporean masked chaffer control, and theres enough of them out there to do damage.

I m talking New England, other areas may not have that problem

7. James Cormier

from Ma

oh, yes merit doesnt have very good curative control, and Bayer never claimed it did, its mostly a preventive. And sometimes preventing a problem is much better for costs, enviorment & all then waiting and using curative controls.

8. DAZED AND CONFUSED

DAZED AND CONFUSED LawnSite Member

hey guys i just attended a seminar on the 19th now that dow has changed the chemical competition of active ingrediants they are now actually guaranteeing the apps done with mach2 and are reducing the price by 10% i would talk to dow at www.dowagro.com for specifics but i am intrigued

9. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I rotate Mach II and Merit. The year I'm using Mach II, I order my Dylox at the same time.:D

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i don't believe i have ever, ever had a grub problem when i've used merit. even when working on properties where the owner told me they have a history of grub problems. i did use mach 2 yrs ago, on a couple of properties, but probably just got lucky.