Mach II vs. Merit

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PGA, Feb 7, 2006.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking for a less expensive alternative to Merit and I came across Mach II.

My Lesco guy says it's basically the same thing but Mach II is newer and its also about $65.00 LESS then Merit due to the fact that the product is basically brand new and they wanted to lower the price to get people to buy it over Merit.

My question is does anyone have any experience with Mach II good or bad that they could share with me?

2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

well not exactly.

Mach II has always been cheaper than Merit in my experience. I have never had an instance where either have failed to provide good control.

Merit is a systemic insecticide

Mach II is an insect hormone, (Molting-Accelerating Compound Halofenozide) hence the MACH.

Merit is a versatile insecticde and can be used for turf or ornamental plants/trees (sprayed, injected, or spread). For grub control in turf it should be watered in within a few days for effective control (it photodegrades), but I haven't yet seen grub damage on areas that weren't watered right away. It is a time-proven performer.

Mach II I believe is primarily (or only) meant for turf. It will control a few more turf insects than Merit, including sod webworms. It does not photodegrade easily and doesn't need to be watered in right away (a week or two). Mach II can be applied later in the season than Merit and can also be used as an early curative app.

3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

4. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Also, be a little leary of your supplier. Mach II has been around for SEVERAL years now, it's not exactly new. Not a bad idea to rotate between the two products each year to avoid building a resistance to either.

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Ther'e have been serious control issues in the northeast, many cases of serious turf loss due to failure of this product to control the european chaffer beetle.

6. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I had e few small problems with Mach II this year. I mentioned it to my Lesco rep who said he would pass it along to his Mach II rep and she would contact me. Never heard a damn thing.I asked Mr. Lesco and he confirmed that he had passed my concerns along.

My one problem ocurred on a steep hill. Unfortunately it was the hill along the road frontage of the property. Everywhere else I had good control, but I don't like being ignored.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

mach 2 rocks works well if timed right and applied right

8. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I tried Mach II last season and had good results. It appears to be more forgiving as it relates to "watering in" so I am thinking this could be good for customers who can't be relied on to water etc.

9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Supposedly they re-labeled the product about 2 years ago to give a higher rate that will control the European chaffer. Nobody around here uses it b/c of the failure years ago. I was the guinea pig in my area for Eliminate, not gonna do it for Mach II.

10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have not had good luck wih Mach II. I do not use it, period. The extra money you save goes into fixing people's lawns after the skunks/racoons/crows tore it up trying to get at the grubs. Along with the rest of your profits. Supposedly it works at the higher rate, but not as well as Merit.