Machine rental cost estimate?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Before i buy more than i need, i figured id ask estimates for machine costs.

If i were to rent a small bobcat for say a day/week etc. how much do most places charge? What happens if something breaks or is damaged like a skid steer with a 24" post hole digger?

How much would a small sub compact front end loader utility tractor cost per hour/day or week? something like a 30hp kubuta or JD or case?

Thanks, as you can see i dont know much about what they would cost to rent. If i have a lenthy job it may not be financially reasonable to rent something for a week or two.

2. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

usually you are better renting for a week or month. it gets cheaper the longer you rent. the rental company charges me 160 a day for a harley rake but a week it is 450 i think and the month is 1250. so if i think i am going to need the harley on a few yards i just get it by the week and line up all my work to make it work for me

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Never buy a piece of large equipment if you're not using it 50% of your time.In other words,if you plan on NEEDING a skid steer for 25-30 weeks out of the year,then it's feasable to buy.You don't want an expensive piece of equipment sitting unused for a long period of time.

4. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

In my area, the smallest Bobcat (463) is $150/day or $1500 month. Thats with a small bucket...an auger would be more.

Depending on the job size, it might make sense to rent or maybe think about subbing some, or all of the job out.

For example, if it's about one days worth of work, you don't sound like you have any machine experience (can't tell from your post).
    If you rent a machine, depending on the terrain, it might take you half or 3/4 of the day to be productive.

By subbing it out, an experienced operator might save you money. Sure you have to pay the machine cost, but on the right job, you could be working on another part while they do their part.

It really depends on the scope of the job, which we don't know from your posting. Good luck.

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

thanks guys, yeah i would only be using this MAYBE a few days here and there over the year. The more attachments, the more ill be using it.

Ill use it for landscaping moving things around.
    post hole digging
    rotor tilling
    snow removal as long as i have a large job that warrants it
    sod installations

Right now i have at least 3 weeks worth of work in the next couple months, im sure ill have more by august. I also will be building a house "on a hill" later this year 2006 and will need something with a bucket to backfill, grade the area and can use a sub compact tractor. Not sure how much it would cost to rent one of those later this year for a few weeks but im sure the $1k rentals can add up after just one year. On the downside, a payment for a JD 3520 tractor with loader, tiller, and some other stuff is almost $700 a month for 3 years if i get the 0% financing.