Machine to level ground?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Aug 1, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm wondering how do you guys level the existing ground when you're about to lay new turf?

The area is 4,000 sq feet in area and well, it needs to be levelled and tilled.. I'm going to be tilling the area on tuesday and then levelling on tuesday/wendesday..

I mean to level the ground I could use 2 metal rakes, but that would take me awhile to do..

I was wondering is there a machine out there to make this easier? or what are some of your guys methods of levelling the ground to lay turf?

:confused: :confused:

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Harley power box rake on a compact 4X4 utility tractor.

3. alpine692003

Nope, dont have that over here and i wouldn't be able to fit that machine in between the gardenbeds :(

Any other suggestions beside the harley power rake and metal rakes? or do I have to resort to using metal rakes?

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you finally starting that sod job? i'm surprised it took the customer THIS LONG to chew you down to $250

5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I use the large grade rake.
    4K sq. you can grade fairly easy with a couple large grade rakes.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

do you want it level? or a slight pitch? do you want a lake, or a waterfall?

7. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Like Bobby said you don't want it pool table level or the rain won't drain.

4000 Sq Ft is only ~ 63'x63' you should be able to till and level/smooth that using a 3' landscapers rake in a day by yourself assuming theres not a bijillion rocks that need to be removed.

8. alpine692003

boobies, shuddap..

Thanks TX.. I guess so, sigh..

I'm going to be tilling on tuesday, then levelling it and then the final installation of the sod on thursday .. ill be posting pics..

:blob2: :blob2:

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

why are you tilling it in the first place?

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

You'd be better off w/ a sod stripper prior to tilling - you'd probably get about8-10 yds max of debris if stripped off shallow. This would make tilling that much easier!