Machinery Prices UK

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phil G, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

When in America late last year I checked out some prices;
    Here's what we pay (full rrp quoted)

Echo Backpack PB755 UK £480.00 = $936.00
    Echo Brushcutter SRM350ESU UK £492.00 = $959.00
    Echo HedgeCutter HCA2500 UK £480 = $936

Stihl BG85 UK £285.00 $555.75

Kawasaki BrushCutter KBL27A UK £381.88 = $&44.67
    Kawasaki HedgeTrimmer KHT750D UK £446.50 = $870.68

These are the full retail prices including tax

And we're paying over $9.00 a gallon for petrol:confused:

Go on then, have a good laugh and snigger

:jester:

2. nice government you have there, nothing like some hosing.

3. bluetick

bluetick LawnSite Member

Holy crap!!! I guess there is something to be said about the good 'ol weak dollar. At those prices you could probably afford to buy here ship it home and save a few pounds?

4. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

I know everything is relative and those prices would be high here. How do your labor rates compare? How much for the average sized lawn maintenance job?

Thanks for posting this, I think is interesting to keep things in perspective and learn about other areas of the world.

Dan

5. Phil G

The rate varies between solo's and commercials. Most solo's I know aim for about £30+ per hour ($60) Commercials don't always get higher, maybe $75-$80. The main difference is the mowers used here are not the large rotary walk/ride you guys use. Those large ones are mainly used by local councils for the verge cutting.
    With only very few exceptions all domestic and commercial lawns are collected, and striped. The best rotary mowers for striping tend to be no wider than 21inch, and they're walk behind. You guys got it so easy there :rolleyes: sitting on you arse all day cutting grass.

atb Phil :)/COLOR]

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Your prices are pretty much in line with ours, and you pay alot more for everything, and use less productive mowers. How long is your season there?

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Those prices are outrageous. How has the Pound fared lately. I was talking to a friend in Iceland and they mentioned that the Crown was down. The inflation index here for June was 1.8%, if that keeps up, we'll be using dollars for lavatory paper:laugh:.

I know that in some countries, gifts can be brought in without import taxes. If so, you should get a buddy to "buy" you a blower next time you are here.

8. Phil G

Yep, we just bend over and take it up the rear:dizzy:

It's very tempting, but we'd get hit for import duty and taxes. This usually adds 20% then add shipping cost, it could still come in cheaper. These would usually be classed as a 'grey' import and the wholesalers/distributors would not honour any warranty. I've tried this with air rifles from Germany, much cheaper there, but no warranty

With only a few exceptions all gardeners work 12mth a year. Winter is a busy time with all the pruning and other cutting back. The mowers are out every week up to Christmas week, not so much cutting as grooming the lawns. The gardens are given a monthly price for all year gardening. They just get a shorter weekly visit in the winter due to the shorter day light hours. I don't know anyone who will do a garden for 'growing season' only. We all got all year overheads.

atb Phil :)

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Thats how it is here in Florida. Most other places seem to have a growing season, but we work year round here. Slower time is nov-march when we go every other week instead of every week, but we do everything on a flat monthly rate.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Lets see some pictures of average homes or lawns there, equipment, etc