1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

machines without hour meters?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gandk06, Oct 10, 2007.

1. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at a used ferris 04 walk behind and the current owner claims that it has about 150 hours on it. What do most look for to tell if that would be the true time on a machine that does not have an hour meter. I want to be able to look past the dirt and be able to tell the true abuse the machine has or has not encountered.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

And why do some machines not have hour meters?:confused:
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure how to tell approx hours.

"And why do some machines not have hour meters?" If its a pull start that is one reason, but I know they make hour meters that count hours as long as plug is firing so Im not sure...maybe its because when you have 12 volts to play with you have more options. Also purchasing a mower with electric start puts you in a price bracket to allow an hour meter.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I tell you how you can tell with this one, on a machine with 150 decent hours on it you should be able to take warm water and soap and some rags and wash it up really good and it should look closer to new still... You'll see some use and the weather may have had some effect on the paint as well, but if it's all faded and scratched then I would be for assuming this machine has more than the claimed hours... In all fairness, an '04 model should have minor damage if it was used part time, it will have some scratching and maybe a few deep gouges, but a more worn machine will have most all the paint in the 'contact' areas worn off. Contact areas would be the side of the deck, also look for paint that is cracked or peeling, this starts at about 150-200 hours, if it just has a section like that fine but if a lot of paint is missing or the deck has several cracks already formed...

By the way, an owner's failure to wash the mower is no indication of disregard, I don't wash mine anymore either, it just seems a bit redundant and it seems to wear the paint off even faster...

Anyhow, a 150-hour Wb should look a bit like a 1-2 year old mower, 1 yr. old by the hours but 2 years wear by the weather, give or take. It might have fade to it, but I can't see it being totally so, maybe but just starting.
    I'm comparing this to my '06 Ztr which has 90 hours on it, it still looks basically new thou it's dirty so it needs a wash, and it has some scratches and maybe 1-2 gouges in the paint. You'd be looking at something only a little bit worse off.
    Most everything should be gtg on a 150-hour machine.

150 hours is likely to be around 4-600 smaller lawns cut, around the 1/4 acre and slightly smaller size, or one good season's use.

In comparison my '05 Wb which has 3-400 hours on it, the paint has started to fade and it has maybe a half dozen deep gouges and a few spots the paint is cracking / peeling... Believe it or not that comes from doing maintenance, most of it is due to tools, at least in my case, but I'd say 98% of the paint is intact and only the very bottom of the skirt has all the paint missing, considerable scratching on the side of the deck but not completely worn off either (most of the paint is still on there).
  4. gandk06

That is kind of what I was thinking. My ZTR has about 130 hours on it but I wash it. I know to some cleaning a machine is not tops on the list of things to do to it. Doesn't mean it was not taken care of they just don't wash it.

5. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, How does that 54" deck fit on your 5x10 trailer? Just curious. I have a 5x10 and the inside width measure 59 inches. Just curious as to how big I can comfortably go.
  6. gandk06

It fits fine. I have to keep the chute up and I have about 2-3 inches of play on each side.
  7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

When I have this problem, I just bring a hot She-W/B around. If the mower in question reacts positively to her presence, you're prob'ly good to go.
  8. gandk06

Sounds like a great idea. I just don't know where to look for the junk on boy W/B to see how he reacts. :hammerhead: