Machines

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CAT MAN, May 22, 2008.

1. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

ok I am interested in landscaping and was wondering what machines I would need to start? Im sure I need a skid steer and a power rake for it, I would just like to know what else I would need to start???:confused:

2. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

shovels, rakes, wheel barrels, laser, cordless tools, many many more. start there!

3. CAT MAN

from PA

so your saying get that stuff and after awhile get the skid steer or I need that along with the skid steer

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I personaly would start with a phaser, communicator, tricorder and a medical scanner.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You don't need a skid steer, unless your looking into grading yards all day.

I had one customer 2 years ago give me props for grading, by hand, 500 square feet around his house. I easily could have used a dingo, but I knew I truly didn't.

If you need the equipment, go rent it. Once you think you've exceeded in one year the amount of money spent on rental, to purchasing one outright, then I would suggest buying it.

The only time I wished I had a skid steer, was for moving pallets. But, I just had my stuff delivered on site by my suppliers, and figured how much fuel I saved having someone else do it for me.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

get the work to justify the purchases. You can rent in the meantime and find out what is right/wrong for you.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

How much work do you have lined up? What is your typical installation? Residential renovation, new residential installation, commercial?

Why not get a harley rake for your 790?

I would not purchase a skid steer unless you are using it at least once per week. I would rent equipment until you have the workload to support purchasing it. Plus, while renting you can get a feel for what really works for you.

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

you read my mind!

9. CAT MAN

from PA

thanks guys

10. CAT MAN

from PA

I am more interested in lawn care/mowing just wondering what it would take to get into landscaping