Mack Midliner

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Summit L & D, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

What are the pro's and cons of this truck? Maintenance issues? The truck has a new interior and fresh paint.

6 cyl. Renault Engine
    5 speed
    300,000 miles. (there is no indication of any engine or transmission work being done)
    $8,500 asking price

My main concern is the miles. I know that we won't put more than 15,000 miles on it a year, but that is still a lot of miles to start out with.

Mack Midliner.jpg

2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

nothin for nothing that is one fugly truck.. i dont see many around on the roads anymore if that means anything? cant find a nicer international or something?

3. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

My friend works at a Mack dealership and he had said once how the Midliner was a disposable truck. You are probably better off with anything else.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Can't beat an International. Although that truck is pretty cheap.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

My Dad has a 1992 long chassis, as much as I hate that under powered, under geared, ugly piece of sh*t on wheels he calls a truck, he's had no major issues with it, to date he has about 200,000 kms on it, and the odometer stopped working a year ago.
    One big problem he had was the turbo boost pipe kept popping off, but he flared the end of the aluminum pipe and it's been fine, a few minor electrical glitches, but other than that, it's a real damn good solid death trap on wheels.

6. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Looked at one years back and everyone said dont mess wwith them, odd ball brake setup for one thing, I went international and never looked backed

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Odd ball brake set up?

My Dad's has spring brake drums in the rear and drums on the front, nothing odd about that, just don't park on a hill steeper than 12 percent with a heavy load. (Dad learned real fast that day.)

8. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

Right now I'm torn between 2 goals. #1 having nice newer equipment and an impeccable professional image. #2 paying cash. If I lean toward to the option number 1 I'm most likely going to shoot number 2 in the face.

Here is an international that I like. But it's pushing the pay cash goal.

1991 International 3800
    105,000 miles
    dt 460
    16' flatbed dump
    $12,000 asking price

What am I gaining/losing between the 3800 and 4700 Internationals?

International.jpg

9. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

What are you using the truck for? Those two trucks are set up completely different. I like the International with the crew cab and long flat bed.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I have to ask: what will be the end purpose of the truck? The Midliner you posted and the International are setup for 2 different applications. What are you trying to do with the rig?