Mad about toro 21" wheels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, May 6, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I got my toro commercial with honda engine(last one) off of speedway sales(butt holes). The wheels were screwed up bad either before or after shipping. When I got it the back looked really bad and have pictures to prove it. My local dealer said he would fix it so toro let him do the work. But now the wheels are VERY whiny and it gets bad when you get into grass with it. Also it is harder to back up and it makes a whizy sound when you back up. Why hasen't the wheels and ratchets broken in yet?? I'm really disappointed about this and speedway and want to get a new mower from toro. The last toro I had, had no problems at all with the wheels being screwed up. It's just this thing fixed and all is a pain with the noisy wheels. Can the wheels be fixed again or should I make toro give me a new mower? I paid 1199.99 on there with shipping insurance which was worthless because they then wanted to ship the thing back to them to get fixed. Oh boy.

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Did you not buy from a local dealer? :hammerhead:

3. S man

I would have but wanted to get one with the older style honda gxv and nobody here had one.

4. tb8100

from TX

Can't really blame you if you couldn't find one locally, but unfortunately, what can you expect when you don't buy locally? There's no question, buying online is a losing proposition. I hope others read this and learn from your mistake.

5. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

What a misleading and false statement. So the American consumer is wrong in buying more and more online? Buy smart from reputable online companies and use a credit card for the purchase. The CC companies do go to bat for the consumer if you have a valid claim.

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Not sure about the noise, could be from the cable being to tight and when pulling back you are turning the trans.

Can you post some pics? Maybe I can help better if I could see it.

7. tb8100

from TX

My post is not misleading. By not purchasing this mower from a local dealer, the OP subjected himself to a world of problems. At some point, you're likely going to have an issue. Think the online seller you bought it from gives a crap about you? Most of the time, no. Or if they do, they're definitely not covering shipping. You decide for yourself whether or not it's good or bad to purchase online, but where do you plan to get service done when something does fail? Your local service center for that product will likely frown upon you going online to find a dealer illegally selling the same item over the internet and lowballing.

Nobody likes a lowballer. You guys always complain about guys coming in and cutting lawns for $20 (and are breaking all kinds of laws and rules in so doing). That's how we dealers feel about online retailers.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Toro Proline, a few years old. On my machine, the drive wheels do not release the transmission when pulling it backward. The drive pulley at the top of the transmission spins in reverse when I pull the mower backward. Yes, mine makes a "whizy" sound when pulling backward. The sound is the gears spinning, fully engaged inside the transmission.

This behavior is unlike my LawnBoy, which uses a rocking key in the drive system. The key will drive the attached gear in forward rotation, but will release when the wheels are pulled backward.

My point is that your mower may have nothing wrong with it, working as intended. Perhaps you have used another mower that had a release on reverse motion, and expected the same from your Toro. Maybe I have not understood your concern, but you may be coming to wrong conclusions.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

My 22" Toro recycler does the exact same thing. Cuts great and works great. Probably nothing wrong with yours. If there IS something wrong, it could be a adjustment that needs to be done. Learn the mower so you can make any adjustments needed, it will save you headaches and time in the end.

10. S man

My dealer said they would look at it again. It works fine but makes a whiny sound when on grass.