Mad As Heck!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jlohouston, May 26, 2006.

1. jlohouston

jlohouston LawnSite Member

My blower was stolen today...... It was even LOCKED they cut the lock...

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I am so sorry to hear this! I want you to know I feel bad for you hon.

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still trying to figure how to protect equipment the best. Today I put the blower and trimmer in the back yards soon as I got there (I had to because I forgot my lock and cable which is also a pain in the ass). I think I read tah advice here. Then I started keeping the back pack blower and even the trimmer in the cab with me. Soon as I get enough work for three people then I hope nothing will have to be locked up.

4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I assume you had it on a blower holder/rack? Where were you at when it happened; job site, nursery, bank, lunch, Home Depot...etc.. How long was it left unattended?

Any time someone posts that they had something stolen I like to have a few facts so I can be better prepared. Some folk have no scruples. Bummer.

5. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

I use S&W ankel cuffs.I run the chain threw the handles of my blower and heage cutter and lock the cuffs to the side of the trailer.I watched this guy with a hammer try to bust them and even with the hammer he couldnt get the cuffs undone.He came at me when i yelled at him and i sprayed him in the face with starting fluid.He screamed like a little Pus** and ran off with me after him with the trimmer running wide open.I got the cuffs from a friend of mine thats a cop after my blower got riped off.I have a pic some where.I`ll have to find it.

6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Right next to the section where I bought a 15 foot cable and some locks they were selling these huge bolt cutters, huge one for 40 bucks... Thats all you need for most of these locks. I cut a lock off my ladders in about 5 secs with an angle grinder.

7. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

LOL! That is funny, but sad too...

8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear about the blower.

I used to wash and clean the equipment every week, now I never wash it. The dirtier the better. Customers don't care. I've thought about spray painting the trimmers and blower an odd color to make them look even worse.

If you have to stop at a big box, park near the door where all the foot traffic is, if possible. Still that is no guarantee some crackhead won't rip something. Eat lunch where you can see the trailer. Don't get a haircut when you are driving your rig.

I never can relax when the trailer is out of sight. On ungated yards I'll use a mow pattern to come around in front as much as possible, not the front first, then the back.

The locks just keep an honest man honest, but the only time something is unlocked is when it is in use. It is a pain to fool around with keys all day but there is really no alternative.

If it is any consolation, thieves are going to burn in hell forever.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Where was the blower and more importantly, where were you when the equipment was stolen. You must have been a good distance away if someone thought they had enough time to cut a lock to get a machine.

Sounds kind of like an inside job becaquse the person who took it knew they would have the time to cut the lock without you or anyone else taking notice.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I can't understand why people must insist on stealing something you use top make a living! :dizzy:

10. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I always think the same thing. Why the heck does someone want to take away stuff that hard working people use to make a living. I know they don't see it that way, but it just pisses me off that lco's get things taken from right under their nose. I personally carry a .45 in the truck with me. Not that that will do anything when I'm on a property or in a bank or something. But I've always had a bad feeling someone will rob me for the fuel I carry on the trailer. 5 / 5gallon containers and 3 / 2 cycle containers. Especially with the direction prices have been going. No worries yet though. Never hurts to have extra protection. It sucks, and I don't wish stolen equipment on anyone.