MAD at my eXmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HarryD, May 23, 2003.

1. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchased a new 52" turf tracer last fall and I love it. Only complaint I have with it is the stupid OPC on the handles "pistol grips" . I have been using pistol grip mowers for over 20 years and this is the first mower that has hurt my hands to the point I unhooked the the OPC. at the beginning of the day the pressure from my hands on the OPC starts to hurt by days end I am getting shooting pains up my wrists all the way to my shoulders. like I'm getting carpel tunnel. I'm guessing the guys that designed this did not run it for hours at a time. I'm suggesting they design a handle where the OPC will inset into it so that it is flush with the rest of the handle.

anyone else have this complaint
    Photo attached of the mid-evil torture devise :cry: :cry: :cry:

2. HarryD

I guess I'm old school and everyone else is running Z's and does not have this problem
  3. Harry I took them off and ground them down on the blade grinder.

Made them thinner with smooth edges. They fit on the handels like they weren't even there.

from AL

The ECS system will "soften" with use. The OPC can be bent slightly to accomidate your hand configurations.

Thank your lucky stars you arn't using an H-Bar.
  5. HarryD

so did you have the same pain as I'm having now. man they kill my wrists at the angle I'm holding them while standing on my sulky.
    why not a kill switch like on a jet ski . A wire hooked to a key hooked to the operator. if you fall off it kills the motor
  6. He don't have an ECS, you keep showing those great reading and comprehension skills you possess....

Harry my newest WB gave me pains in the palm of my hand, the older ones only did for a short time, once you got used to it, it didn't hurt any more, but on the newest one, it kept hurting so I ground them all down.

Now you can barely fell they are there.

I also did a little bending to make them fit snug to the grip.

I still prefer these to the ECS.

Bobcat has insets in their grips for their OPC's, but if you want to know pain, give them a try for a few hours.
  7. Oh yes a must add, be sure to repaint them after you are done, if not once they get wet, the gritty rust will fell real great.

I had to sand them down with 400 grit and then paint them.
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I put the newer Bob-Cat grips on my older unit. They have an indentation in the rubber to accomodate the opc levers. I had the same problem.
  9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hey, Lawngodfather, why you don't prefer ECS to Pistol ?
    I use eXmark pistol on my Metro, so far so good. I think ECS is good on hydro cause they have less plastic parts than those on ECS of gear model, and the comfort of handle on hydro is better than on those of gear ECS. ECS on gear models are so hard to move around with your thumbs and so awkward that I got pistol instead.
    The feel of pistol is much more in control and more maneverable to me.
    Any suggestion?
  10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Ho Hum........... Just "another" reason to buy a Hustler WB..... It's has none of that stuff you have to hold for a safety switch. They did it a better way. So what else is new???:p :p