Made a big mistake today

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by twcw5804, Nov 13, 2005.

1. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

My wife and I have had great success with our small lawn service consisting of 10-13 yards on average. We started out having 7 yards handed to us by her father. So far we have operated off of two non-commericial 21' craftsman and troy-built mowers. As I have done my research I had been thinking about upgrading equipment for next year and going to 30-40 yards. But that has nothing to do with what I did today....

I know everyone is against Craftsman and items that are for regular home users cause they will break down easily. But my wife just took a job at Sears and I saw that I could get the $600 leaf vac that I have had my eye on for 2 years now for 20% off combining a sale and employee discount. I thought it would make doing leaves much easier for us and would allow me to get leaves out of bushes with much more ease. BOY WAS I WRONG. The bag on the thing is a joke and it can't even suck up a sweetgum ball, which was my main reason for getting it other than leaves. I made it halfway through a neighbors front yard, which is quite small, then had to run an erran, and came back and now the damn thing will not even run properly. It only comes up to about half idle.

I am only posting this and opening myself up to humiliation in hopes that maybe I can stop someone else out there from buying one of these. Its going back tomorrow and the money will be spent on buying commercial equipment, and advertising in the spring.

I will be buying 2 Toro 20058 21' commerical mowers, and if we get up enough accounts I will spring for a 36' walk behind.

We will be purchasing an Echo blower. Has anyone tried the Echo that is a blower and a vac. I would like something for getting leaves out of those pesky bushes.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

You live you learn,most people on the board have learned the hard way,i know i have paid my dues.
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The only Echo's blower/vac's I have seen have been at Home depot and I wont buy equip there as you have already figured out it is H/o stuff looks like the real thing but usually a different model. We use a Stihl from our commercial service vendor. It stays in the vac.mode because switching back and forth is a pain, We use Echo PB2100 hand helds or John Deere Back pacs for blowers.
  4. twcw5804

There is a local commercial lawn equipment place that sells Echo blowers. They have a model selling for $199 that converts to vac from blower. No home depots where I live, just Lowes and Menards.

They also have other Echo blowers that ranger from 200 on up and also the backpack blowers.
  5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Watch out for the 15% restock fee on it, it's now mandatory for us to have to do that, Of course if you wanted to get it back and cheaper, give it a week to go through in house pmt and come back as a 991 item for 15-25% off original. yeah, i work there too, in hardware though...
  6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Echo Shredder/vac. This machine works great at vacuming leaves out of window wells, shrubs/bushes, etc. This will convert into a blower, but if you are trying to move a lot of leaves forget it. I mean, don't get me wrong I love the shredder/vac, mainly because it is also a handheld blower, but it will do the job but only to a point.

I also have an Echo PB750 backpack blower, this will move a ton of leaves, has enough power to clean out around shrubs/bushes, etc. I think it will run you around $500, but well worth the money.
  7. twcw5804

Thanks Green Pro for the blower advice. My main use for the blower is cleaning sidewalks and driveways after I mow.

As for the restocking fee. They can have it, I will gladly pay them money to take this back from me.
  8. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I second the Echo Shred and Vac.It's great for cleaning beds and areas that the sweeper can't get to.I leave it in vacuum mode as well.I also use it to clean driveways edges,which seem to always accumulate leaves during leaf removal.
  9. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

Don't you dare feel bad about what you did.:angel: I tip my hat to you for being big enough to acknowledge a mistake, and sharing it in a positive way.

There are various stages of landscaping of which each has it’s own nitch to success. Finding the right tools for your depth of commitment is not easy. Discussing your goals and aspirations with us will drastically reduce the amount of mistakes you make along your journey to a happy business.
  10. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I also have the echo shredder vac. It worked will for doing some spring cleanups to get leaves out of bushes and what not. Now im having problems with it starting and running at full throttle.