Made a mistake

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MJK, Sep 23, 2012.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Long story short, we did a large grading project, client decided to raise the grade of a portion of his yard more. We brought in and graded an extra 70 yards of soil, customer signs change.

The change caused the customer to be $2,500 over budget. So at the end of the project, I had the customer pay the orginal amount, then we agreed to pay the change order of $2,500 30 days later.

Mistake was I did this on a handshake agreement, now I can't get a hold of the guy.

Anyone else make this kind of mistake before and what kind of clever ways did you use to handle it.

2. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Did the change order have a price on it ?

How long has he dodged you ?

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Don't call them On the phone, don't send emails.

Go about a week of not bothering them. Then pay a personal, friendly visit on like a Fri night or Sunday mid morning.

Catch them off guard.

Zedo doesn't believe in contracts and legalities. But I do!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Also, when you do get in contact with them, do not accept the check is in the mail line. Make them give you post dated checks and deposit them on the dates on the checks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I would call and tell him you are starting the process of putting a lien on his house. You can put a lien on his property for practically nothing, and most of the time it will scare the bejeesus out of him.

6. MJK

Change order was signed. Been almost 2 weeks now.

I will have to just pay them that visit I guess. This is what I hate about owning a business more then anything.

7. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

On a separate note, 2500 for 70 yes of topsoil... For me that would be way on the cheap side. How did you come up with your price?

8. MJK

Since I'm already at the place house, $1,021 For dirt, $1,225 labor, $328 to overhead.

Mind you this work is done with a skidsteer, so its done in a day. (should add 35 man hours for the work)

9. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

Price seems good to me. 4 tandem loads of dirt, and probably didn't even take a whole day. $328 seems high for overhead unless that includes skid steer rental or labor cost.

10. MJK

Yea the $328 includes my charge for the skid.