Made a mistake

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MJK, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

I use the real property data on everybody that calls and to see what the house looks like before I go to meet with them and how much its worth. Certain counties even tell who bought and sold it and for how much. It is a valuable tool.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I also pull the property up on Google maps to get a feel
    For what I'm going to be looking at.

One problem with pulling the real estate records -
    DEATH! Twice this yeah I have submitted proposals listed to both husband and wife, one property the husband had Passed away, and our current project - the wife long passed away. So the spouses had to call me and say "you have my husband's name on here but he's dead"! LOL

Folks - take advantage of technology. Use online real estate records. Use Google Maps. If you're mowing residential grass - stop the burdensome monthly billing and get a credit card system in place. INNOVATE!

Zedo is busy enjoying his "cottage" and posting on 3 hardscape forums. He doesn't have time for this Mickey mouse garbage. But I do. Be proactive in your business dealings. Pay attention to what experiences I share and benefit from them.

I have another divison, I price all the work from my laptop at the dining room table, I seldom see the property in person when I send a proposal.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure about all states, but post dated checks are illegal in most.

As in call up the sheriff illegal.

Not to mention if given that amount of time, they can stop payment on it as well.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

A payment can be stopped on anything, that's life. My point is, if you're showing up unannounced at the man's door wanting your money, he may not have it right then and there. So instead of taking his word that he will mail a check come next pay period - you have him cut you a post dated check, this way he is commited.

Post dated checks are legal where I live. If I'm going out of the county for a while I can leave post dated
    Checks for my wife to give to the lawn boy. The checks are mine, money is mine, decision is mine. Ever do automatic car payments or credit card payments? They're nothing more than a digital form of a post dated check. It is however illegal, for a bank to cash or deposit a check prior to the check date.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  5. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Here post dated checks are legal so long as the receiving company agrees to accept the post dated check. But if a customer sends a post dated check without permission, then it is considered fraude, same as writing a check knowing that there are insufficient funds or the account is closed.

We deal with slow and non payers all the time. Just about every time, sending a letter notifying the of our intent to file a Lien in so many days is enough to at least get them to call us. Bad checks are great, when I get one I call the customer and send a certified letter, if they do not pay the balance plus bank fee within 7 days I give the check to my local pd. They call notifying the customer that they will be charged with fraude unless restitution is made. They get me paid quicker than any collection agency and the pd doesn't take a commission