Made baffles for 61" Scag old deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, May 20, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Finally got around to doing this as I've been wanting to. It now "looks" similar to Scag Advantage or eXmark decks including a peice similar to the Turbo Baffle (clumped bad before the Turbo Baffle but after the front baffles). It packs up real bad in the wet grass but it discharges farther. I am not sure it's better in wet conditions but when it dries out and I use it some more I will find out how it does compared to the old style. Didn't take too long to do it and I spent $15 for materials to build this for both the rider and the walk behind, can you beat that! Oh I haven't made them for the w/b yet but thats next LOL.

For you eXmark and Scag Advantage users, how fast and bad do they pack up and clump in wet conditions?

may20#93.jpg

2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If you really want to get the most from this mower try running doubles with all 6 blades being bobcat offset high lift blades.

3. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

You have to much time on your hands. I just wish I did TOO!:D

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I will get the offset blades next time I need some but these are still like new. Also, I'm not sure I wanna run doubles when I don't need to (like now in the summer) because I don't wanna wear out the electric clutch too soon. Probably I'll only run them in spring for high growth and in fall for leaves.

haha Rob is that a compliment..

5. rob1325

Yes it is. Nice job by the way. I love doing stuff like that, but know just cant find time anymore.

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Ah, thanks then ;)
    Man do they really pack up in wet grass... I will be cutting normal growth tomorrow (just been mowing a couple days' growth today with it at my house) and will see how they do, hopefully it will be drier. I think it should stripe alittle better this way since this gives it more suction :)

7. rob1325

Brushhogboy, I just noticed something. The baffles u made are lower than the blades, from what I can see. On my advantage deck the blades are about 1/2" lower than front baffles. Hope this helps.

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Rob I know... They are actually 1/2" higher than the bottom edge of the deck but since it's fixed deck with it in the highest position in back and highest on casters with blades 3 spacers down in the deck it's at 3". I like to mow alittle higher so I have to go with just 1 spacer down on the spindle for 3.5".... I hate it that it's that way....thinking about making it a floating deck to take care of that problem...

9. rob1325

AAHH, maybe thats why then it is packing underneath and not cutting good in wet grass. I know what you mean about wanting to cut higher and not change spindle spacers. My walkbehind is like that. I notice that with walk behind advatage deck, when I change spacer on spindles to higher position, it just not same as when all the way down. Would love to see that made into floating deck though. Good luck.

10. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

If you don't want to wear the clutch out too fast, why don't you slow down the throttle and start it on a little faster than idle speed?