Made in the USA

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Jan 24, 2006.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Do any of ya'll put a heavy emphasis on buying USA made equipment?

I really am trying to be better about for hand held equip, its my understanding that Stihl is the only US owned and produced line of trimmers/edgers etc..

Echo is owned by a japanese corp but makes the products here in the USA.

Lets hear your opinions on this if ya got one.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

It's a global economy. Made in the USA is a misnomer. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my country, but when all the components are made everywhere else and just assembled here, is it still "made in America"? What about Dodge trucks. They're made in america, kind of, but the money goes to Germany and then to the stockholders all around the world.
  3. Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete LawnSite Member

I thought Stihl is German. They do some manufacturing and assembly in VA but they aren't US owned. All things being equal I'll pick a US made product. However, rarely are things equal. How much money have I budgeted for a machine, how much am I going to use it, and how long do I expect it to last? I go for a machine I think is the best quality for the money I'm spending. Where it's made is secondary.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I don't put a HEAVY emphasis on it but I think we should support the "Big 3" and other types of manufacturers, so they'll be around tomorrow.
  5. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

You have been misinformed....Stihl is German. :)
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are no American owned manufacturers of commercial handheld equipment.

That being said I make every attempt to buy as many American products as possible.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I know it's been said but sthil is german as far as usa made try weedeater brand.
  9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very correct.Does anyone know what ever happened to Homelite? Last recollection of Homelite I have ,Deere had bought them out and sent the manufacturing of product to Mexico.
  10. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Better Quick 36 says Made in America on their web site. Why buy another 36" mower if you want to support American made?

I notice a few that replied use another brand.