Made my own mulch plate in 15 min for quick 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by booboy, Mar 1, 2011.

1. booboy

booboy LawnSite Member

I had forgot to purchase the new mulch plate with my new mower. Instead of paying $60 plus shipping to Canada I though I would try to make up my own. I made this out of a plastic plant pot. The best part of this besides the fact that it was free is that it easily folds out of the way when you dont want to use it. One less bulky thing to keep in the truck.

DSC05612.jpg

DSC05611.jpg

2. bryansong

bryansong LawnSite Member

Cool Beans!

3. aarons lawn

aarons lawn LawnSite Member

wait till you hit a nice rock

4. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

Ya I agree. It looks nice, but I'm pretty sure anything larger in size will pass right through it. At least it will be easy to replace.

5. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

looks like your going to lose your nuts the first time out due to no lock washer or locknut .I would try a pin so you dont need any tools .

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I think you have a simple chute blocker there, not a mulch plate. Right? Your design does not include baffles under the deck, at least from what I can see from your pictures.

7. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

"Danger, Will Robinson. Danger!"

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I give him props.

It looks like a heavier plastic pot that he used, so I think there is some durability there. But yes, a few good sticks and it will start to break.

Instead of a lock washer on the nut, I would use a wing nut and weld a big washer to it so all you will have to use is a pair of pliers to take it off.

That and leave your nut or wing nut on the stud after you remove the blocker.

When that one wears out, might want to look for some thick rubber similar to rubber cutting edges on snow pusher boxes, or an old grain elevator belt you can cut up.

9. booboy

booboy LawnSite Member

I will add some washers if needed. I will be happy if it lasts a few months before I have to make another. It is basically the same thing that is sold for the mower as you can see in pic.

[​IMG]

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If something penetrates that blocker, the OP may well lose his nuts:)