Made my own striping kit tonight!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I made my own striping kit tonight. Granted that a JD 30" riding mower will be pulling it, but the chain is real nice and heavy and the chain is 5/8", 22 feet of it, so it weighs between 40-50 pounds total. Check out the quick pictures I just put up:

http://www.geocities.com/garyh1116/lawn/index.htm

I set it up with a cotter pin so I can take the kit off real quick and easy if I want to.

In addition, the cashier at Home Depot didn't know her size chain at all, so for what should of been something like $2.79 a foot cost me only $1.29 a foot. Yee-Hah!

I have no idea how good this will put stripes down come spring, but it's almost winter time - time to tinker around in the shop. :)

Gary

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Its pretty late right now, but did I read correctly that you are dragging 22 FEET of 5/8" chain behind a 30" mower? Something doesn't make sense!

Also, your picture link doesn't work. Try just posting a link with the lawnsite picture attachment file feature.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Photos worked fine here, good job. Let us know if it works.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Work now, it was something about a daily download limit being reached. Wow, a lot of pics that load incredibly slowwwwww. But looks like a good job! I have a McLane Edger just like it, they aren't that old!

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That should do the trick. I'm not real crazy about the chain not being cut into combs, though. It won'y lay it down as uniformly, but what's worse, is that it's only a matter of time, until you catch a stumo, pipe, or gas check valve,...something of the sort, and it's going to stop you dead in your tracks, either causing potential injury, or causing damage to your equipment. I'd cut it and have a dedicated striper. If you need chain for something else, go buy yourself a piece.

6. Doogiegh

Thanks for looking at the pics guys. Yep, Geocities is the only place I know of or have access to to hold pictures, so it has a KB/hour limit.. But I see that you guys are getting them, so it's fine. I'm not sure why it would load up slow, unless geocities is slow in general.

Yes, I do believe it is exactly 21.25 feet of chain, and it's either 5/16 or 5/8.. I don't remember, it's whichever one Home Depot sell that is thicker.... I don't know if they even sell 5/8. I might of been looking at 3/8 and 5/16 and went with the 5/16 cause the 3/8 they had was covered in orange plastic..

I'll have to check out how the chains are pulled and see what my 'snag' potential is as was pointed out.. If needed, I'll make it into a comb as suggested.. Never thought of that, I just figured chain was decently expensive so why cut it up if into individual comb pieces if I can do the same overall effect by threading it as one continuous piece..

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate the feedback and insight greatly.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It would help guys with phone modems to load the pictures faster if you reduced the size of the pictures. I checked and they are all around 140 to 150 KB in size. If you reduced them down to about 50 KB, they would load 3 times faster. ;)

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i cant see the pictures but if its just dragging a loop.
    it could really cost u some money,or mabe hurt somebody.
    truthfully u could use it a lot and be careful. but at least w me
    sooner or later id hang something. my compliments to your innovative approach. theres allways a better way just waiting to be discovered. later now

9. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the high quality images...the ones that load fast are always crappy quality and small so you can't even see what it is. That page only took like 5 seconds for me!

10. Doogiegh

I'm going to re-do the entire web page later on tonight or over the weekend so that it'll just be a listing of pictures and you can click on each individual one, 1 at a time, by description so that those who have dial-up modems can pick and choose what they want.. It'll be cool when I get done..

I remember the days of dial-up and boy do you get spoiled with it. The page loads up for me as well in about 5 seconds...

I'll "practice" with the chains tommorow as I run over the grass to mulch up my own leaves and I'll have to see how easy it gets snagged.

Being that the chains are right behind the mower, I doubt they would get snagged on a gas cap or anything cause otherwise I would of driven the lawn mower deck over the gas cap as well. If the blade hitting the gas cap doesn't cause enough damage, I'm sure the chain getting snagged would be the least of my worries. <G>