Made the switch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Feb 22, 2013.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I went from and enclosed trailer to an Isuzu NPR open landscape body. I used to have my equipment covered. Do you guys cover your equipment with a tarp or just cover the motors or dont cover it at all? I noticed heavy dew every morning and dont want the plastic and metal parts to starting getting weathered and brittle. I really dont want to unload every piece and put in garage because I have alot of handhelds. I had an estimate to put a carport up but that was $2800. I was thinking of getting a large tarp to throw over equipment at night. What should I do? Thanks

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i have an open trailer. i just park the mower in the garage every night. i load and unload every day. i'm solo so it doesn't take 5 min for me to load or unload everything.

most guys park their trailer loaded inside the garage at night and then just hookup and go.

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Try to enclose that body nothing like dry equipment on a cold morning:waving:

4. jungerla

jungerla LawnSite Member

i modified a old pool roller with a tarp and some clips. all i have to do is clip it to one side and pull it over my whole trailer. in the morning just roll it up and am ready to go. although i still unload everything probally half of the time its just as easy.

5. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed, or fit on a tarper for a dump truck with a waterproof tarp instead of the typical mesh

6. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

We use open trailers and unload completely everyday. I'm a big believer in keeping equipment out of the weather.

How do you like the NPR with landscape body? What size bed did you get? I've thought many times about switching over.

7. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Covering them up would help but it still gets moisture under the tarp. Matter of fact, if it gets warm it will build up even faster and stay there. Should have gone with a enclosed truck.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't worry about dew. I do unload and put my equipment in the garage when I know there's going to be rain.

9. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Same as Richard above. We unload if there's going to be day or more of rain. Otherwise keep em loaded and ready. I can't imagine how much dew it would take to make things "brittle". I am thinking about putting up one of those temp canvas storage buildings to park the trailer under....it would be so much faster. But we unload every few days for sharpening blades and stuff anyways. We'll see.

Jason

10. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I will have to say that I will never go back to pulling a trailer again. Once you get one you will see. It is amazing. No more wide turns, no more replacing the tires ect. The truck turns on a dime and also saves me in fuel. Drives like a car and I get into small areas quickly. Love it and will never go back