Mag,Neary or Wall Blade Grinder?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Deemo, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Deemo

Deemo LawnSite Member

I was wanting to get a few opinions on which of these blade grinders you guys prefer. If you have a Neary 440 model (which is the one im leaning towards) or the Wall BG 121 let me know what you think about them. I can get either one for about $450 but cant decide which one to get. I would consider the Mag 9000 if it is head and shoulders above the Neary and Wall. I will be using it on 48" and 60" mower blades mostly. Ive got a bunch of guys wanting me to sharpen for them if I get it so speed will be a concern.

And NO I wont be buying the Mag 8000 $1000 dollar grinder so lets nip that in the bud now :)

Thanks guys.

2. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

The neary 440 has always been reliable for me. i sharpen 21, 48,52 and 60in. blades on mine. 10 years+, replaced the stone 3 times, works great!!!

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I have been using the Neary for about 5 years. It takes awhile to sharpen a blade but does a good job.

4. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Mag 9000. 1 year old and it sure takes the work out of sharpening blades. Quick too!

5. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i purchased the oregon grinder for $258 or so from travis. have not used it yet, but looking forward to....

6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I like my Fireball Jr, it would be pushing your $450 up to $600 maybe a bit pricy but a nice machine all the same. Going on five years and no problems with it..

BobR

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have a neary and love it. I bought mine used off a friend for $250 with a new stone, dust collector, and dressing tool. Works great, beats a bench grinder.

8. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

We paid for our Magna in the first year by sharpening old blades, those which we did not have time to sharpen, due to allot of rain in 2003. I only made one blade order in the beginning of the season. It is very fast and accurate. Learning curve is less than 2 hours. I would highly recommend the Magna. Quality of machine is also excellent.

9. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I have the BG 121 grinder. 12 years old and not a single problem. Get a wheel dresser for it and you will be all set.