1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

magazine ad's

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Pro-Scapes, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a chance to place a full page ad in an upcoming special edition of Mississippi magazine. Titled "theBOOK" its a resouce guide for developers and home builders.

The cost is 1000 bucks. I can send out about 1500 direct mail pieces for that or get 4 months of ads in a local regional publication. The Mississippi magazine ad would be statewde (I would go to northern miss but only for a lucrative job) and the regional one serves more of my targeted zone. The ad lady for Ms MAg told me that no one else has reserved a spot for what im offering.

If you guys had to pick one or the other which would you do ?
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If you can afford to try it out, go for it.

An ad rep though will tell you anything they think you want to hear to get you to commit to an ad. You'll get the mag and open it up and there will be 5 other ads in there just like yours.
  3. dab212s

dab212s LawnSite Member

i guess ya never know how its gonna work out til ya try it, so I say go for it if you can afford it. If it doesn't work then you'll know not to do it again. If it does then it could be a nice money maker.
  4. NY Landscape Lighting

NY Landscape Lighting LawnSite Member

We did one last year in a magazine that went to alot of builders and architects and got 1 call(from another advertiser). Experience with high end mag ads hasn't been to good over last 2 yrs. Thinking about RSVP again and a high end Val Pak pamphlet now for the spring.
  5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Billy, stick with your area. I have done high end magazine advertising before and as NY stated, all it got me was more calls from people trying to sell me more advertising. Having said that, I am taking out an ad in the "Austin Monthly, Home" magazine. The only reason I am doing this is because there are two articles in the magazine that are featuring my work. This means that I will be all over the magazine and could'nt pass up the chance to have a "special" placement in the issue. This is my service area as well. I don't think it would mean as much to me if it were a statewide issue.

Just my thoughts,
  6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

thanks guys we decided to go with south mississippi spirit magazine which is less than a third the cost as well. Its targeted more twoards our area. I will just keep sending out letters to developers and landscapers.

1000 bucks for 1 apperance just seemed real high to me thats why we asked.
  7. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Good call Billy!
    I agree with everyone on your target area also. Keep on the builders, developers and landscapers as I think that will pay off the most. Ask for some of their time buy them lunch and show them what you can do.
    Good Luck on that add......I would like to see it when you are done if you don't mind. E-mail it if u can.

Paul.......If you get a few copies of that magazine I would like to see it. I will pay to have you send me one.
  8. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

You got it!!
  9. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member