Magic mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jaybird24, Apr 9, 2008.

1. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Anybody use this stuff to bring the color back to mulch. We have a property that wants the mulch looking fresh all the time and we thought this might work. How long does it last?

2. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

TTT

also curious

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i want to know too, was thinking of offering it as a service just the other day while mulching with hardwood. i hate how it grays in about 3 mo

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Interested myself, seems like it could easily be applied with a backpack sprayer. Since pine straw is so popular around here I was trying to think of something that could be sprayed on pine straw that would keep it looking new longer...maybe a low gloss water seal like Thompsons water seal or the like. For the mulch dye I know that Gemplers sells it in all the popular colors.

5. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

this stuff isn't as a great as it sounds. it really doesn't look that good, caution must be used around any hard surfaces, and any place where the mulch is disturbed after application reveals the true faded look of the mulch.

6. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

i found that the brand call earth shades works great . we use a lot of black pallet mulch and i have been playing around with different kinds and found that one to be good . we bought a 15gal sprayer for our golf cart to start recoloring the mulch . i have only used the black but last year we put down new mulch and right next to it we just sprayed it and we came back after it dried and it looked better then the new. so ya i know putting down new mulch means more money but there is not a lot of labor to doing this. that's my 2 Penny's on this .

7. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

You can also spray cleated iron. It works pretty good! I haven't done it in several years, but a friend of mine does quite a bit.

8. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

what is cleated iron ?

9. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the mulch dye one time and thats was the last also. It was messy, clogged my sprayer a lot. You have to be real careful next to the concrete. when it is disturbed you can see the faded mulch under it. I did spray it on some pine straw and that looked awesome but still a big pain on the.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Is the color close to pine straws color?