1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Magic Mulcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, Mar 31, 2001.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

What does the Magic Mulcher do exactly. I looked at your new website, very nice, and I wasn't quite sure.
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I believe if I remember correctly that a Gator throws the grass back into the machine to be re-shred into tiny particles and the Magic Mulcher throws them out into the turf areas. I think that with the two working together it creates a better air flow and enables the deck to work more efficiently.

I think?????
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The bracket on top in that picture is the Magic Mulcher AKA Whiz Mow. It will spin the chains about 3" above the blades to chop up what is flying around up there. It works good on leaves.

The blades you see pictured are two different ones. One is a Gator and one is a Mulcher. The Gator throws the clippings in, the Mulcher throw the clipping out. The fins are twisted differently on each blade to do this. I have found that the Gators work Ok when the grass is dry as a double blade, but when it's wet, it keeps throwing the grass in and makes it ball up. The Mulcher on the other hand, throw the clippings outward and I don't have that problem much at all when it's very wet out. This is something that I have discovered since this past June.

For doing leaves, I had on what you see in the picture. It really shreaded the leaves up nice. One blade threw the leaves in, one threw them out and the chains just did their thing at another level.

When fall rolls around, remind me to tell you about my triple blade set up with Whiz Mows also, for the deep leaves. Yep, you heard it first on Lawnsite.com, 32 tips spinning at 19,000 fpm does some serious chopping. :D
    I hope this helps.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Eric,before you fire up 9 blades ,and the mulchers,you might want to get FAA clearance in case you acheive lift off. LOL,if you dont take off,the neighbors will think an airplane is trying to take off in there yard,when your mowing.
  5. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

I'll be able to hear the clutch squealing from here!
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie's have manual clutches! No squealing from Eric! Bet they'll spin for a half hour after disengagement though! Better keep those tires pumped up Eric, the suction will suck that Chopper too close to the ground!