Magic Salt Application

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by iowastorm, Sep 16, 2000.

1. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I know there has been alot of discussion on Magic Salt and how to apply it, but I'd like some input about liquid application. We would like to get away from the extra man hours of snow blowing/shoveling and manual application of dry de-icers (by walk behind broadcasters) to sidewalks/ walkways at commercial storefronts. Since Magic Salt will melt up to 2 inches of snow, it seems like a great way to cut down on labor and machine time. My thoughts were to buy a 200 gallon skid spayer w/ a 5.5hp Honda engine and mount it in the back of one of the trucks. I figure the time of driving past the store fronts while another guys sprays the material on the sidewalks would dramitically reduce the extra time we spend parking the truck, unloading the broadcasters, loading the dry, bagged material and walking up and down the sidewalks to spread the material. Now the initial investment of the skid sprayer is almost $2K, but it does seem worth it. Any thoughts or suggestions??????

2. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

When you get around to the spray sprayer specialties had a nice one at the show the other day might want to check them out.

3. iowastorm

from Iowa

Digger,

Can you add to that? I didn't quite follow what you meant.

4. diggerman

from Iowa

Sorry I got in a hurry had to put the kids to bed.There is a place in Des Moines that is called sprayer specialties that has a brine set up for a pickup that they had at the Iowa Municiple snow show.It had flow meters on it like what they have on terra gators,it looked like a nice unit. I am looking in to buying some premade brine maybe,my salt fell through there is none to be bought this year,at least in bulk.I guess I'll have to think ahead next year.If you decide that you want to try to build your own sprayer let me know,my best friend used to be a service rep for AgChem and he is prob going to help me set up a brine sprayer.

5. iowastorm

from Iowa

Digger,

Here's the unit I was referring to on the Northern Tool website: http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=648&prmenbr=6970

I didn't know that there was a DSM Snow Show, otherwise I would have went. Definately interested in investigating the brine set-up. I know that we'll be spreading sand in the parking lots, but want to reduce our application time on the sidewalks and walkways. If you use a brine solution, how do you make it and do you add the Magic Salt to the solution??

6. diggerman

from Iowa

There was not a Des Moines snow show it was a municiple show that is put on every year at Hilton in Ames for the DOT ,cities and counties but we go because we do municiple stuff and also find the equipment interesting.I am looking to maybe buy a brine that is premade as for Magic I have found that it has a much bigger fan club here than anywhere else I have found.Im not saying its bad but I have talked to other magic dealers who say thatit does work but there are other solutions that have the same effects but are cheaper.I am going to find out for my self,we will try some diffrent things this year.

7. diggerman

from Iowa

Hey I just looked at northerns web page,I think you ought to go to sprayer specialties they have a set up that comes with the sprayer bar for not a whole lot more.I think the guy told me they start at $2400 with the PVC sprayer bar.

8. iowastorm

from Iowa

Thanks for the info diggerman. Wouldn't mind talking w/ you about this stuff further some time. Can you drop me an email and I'll give you my cell phone number?
    iowastorm@uswest.net

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Liquid is a funny beast. The conditions have to be right, or you will do more good then harm.And the magic is brown, so tracking can be a problem into the building. Its even more of an issue with the liquid. We use the magic salt and drop spreaders, and I dont think that is any longer than spraying the liquid. The unit from Northen wont work, it isnt set up for the semi solids that is in magic, contact Johnny P, he knows the guy that build the units.
    Dino

10. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I missed the magic fan club note. I can only report what we have personally found.
    AS far as other items, they may work as well, liquid calcium works great, but you canot pretreat salt with it effectively, and it will eat anything it comes into contact with. Same with liquid salt. Now you can add straight liquid, and pre wet systems, but why bother whenall you have to do is pretreat your salt, and use it in the equipment you already have.
    Magic also has a fan club here because we have used it, I have found few others who have, so be wary of the naysayers.
    The side benifits to magic are what really sells it to me. Non corrosive, and non toxic. Wont harm plants or equipment.
    No other deicer can say that. Nitrogen maybe, but not in the quanities that are needed to melt snow.
    Dino