1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Magic whose gonna use it ?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by n y snow pros, Oct 27, 2000.

1. n y snow pros

n y snow pros LawnSite Senior Member

Ok ive been away enough so now that we are closer to the season,although you wouldnt know it from the weather.Who here is planning to use Magic for the 1st time this season,just curious?
  2. jimsmowin

jimsmowin LawnSite Member

i intend to use it, just have to get delivered skid price to pa. have never used it. i intend to spray my bulk salt and try that. JIM
  3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup. Me too.

Just have to get the tanks set up to take deliveries.

I still don't think that dude in Rochester believes how much business we project doing with him.
  4. n y snow pros

ill take care of him for you John,now that i read my email ill call Monday
  5. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

I'd like to try it too. Where's the best place to order it for delivery to Chicago (Northwest Indiana)? Do they have zones or territories? Do shipping charges vary that much?
  6. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

J Parker
    We plan on using it and buying it bulk pre treated, we have to get a storage facility figured out. Do you think that because of its non-corrosive nature that we would be able to store it in a steel storage facility or do we need to have a concrete sided facility.
    On another note how are you and J. Allin or anybody else able to get peaple to understand the difference in cost over straight salt or do I just have to high of a price on it. I know when I talked with you about this before that you were charging by the ton $xxx/ton, I started out at this rate considering the cost and freight of what it was going to cost me to purchase it. Peaple were shocked at the cost to salt there lots, I have since lowered the rate considerably to be more competitive. We are also having the same reactions to our estimate/bids for plowing, we have lowered our charges to try and fill up the routes. We have stressed our experience, equipment,membership in SIMA and the quality of service that we offer but still continue to be told that are prices are higher than company X. Everybody around here including the larger contractors doesn't seem to understand the value of there service and are basically cutting everybodys throat. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Matt
    Four Seasons Landscaping & Snowremoval
  7. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

Hold on tight and sell real hard. You sound like you lack the confidence you need to get the big bucks. If you sound that way to customers they'll sense it and punch holes in your proposal at your expense. Make them believe you're worth every penny of it.
  8. Guest

I intend to use it, I went to your BBQ and you gave me the name of Norman, I have been in contact with him and he is going to be coming out the second week on November to spray my bulk pile of salt, I am only going to start out with 15 tons of bulk salt and have Norman spray all of it. I will let you know how it works. Also for all of you who are currently using MagicO I would like to know how to adjust the spreaders so that my guys are not blowing out entire spreader fulls in one lot, also is it easy to see coming out of the spreader or is it impossible to really see how much is coming out. Let me know if you guys have any pointers.
  9. n y snow pros

The Magic is very easy to see when it comes out of the spreader because it looks like sand its brown in color.Have your guys running your sanders close the sander door to half the opening they are use to running.For us we use to run wide open and now our sander doors are open only a third of what we use to run.Try half the opening you are use to and then you can adjust from there. After a couple of storms youll get a good idea as to wear you want the opening. One thing to be careful of is to look at your compititions lots and look at yours dont go out a second time if you see lots other guys plowed and salted and are now filling up again. You need to look at your own lots and decide when to send out sanders again,dont jump the gun because the adjoining lot is filling with snow.When using Magic your lots will take considerable more time to fill with snow. In other words dont put it down if you dont need it. Remember the snow will peel off the lot easily as it cant bond to the pavement when you use Magic.
  10. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Bought six pallets for the walks, may dictate that the contractor spray his salt for use here at the hospital.