Magic Yellow & Service Magic

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Turf Troll, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

Service Magic - Magic Yellow online yellow pages
    Does anyone know if there is a connection between these companies ?
    I searched the passt threads it seemed there was a luke warm response about Service Magic and the leads they provided as maybe it wasn't a value?

Has anyone done anything with them this season ? If you did what did you target(what type of work) for leads?
    Thanks

2. gardengnome

gardengnome LawnSite Member

I've used Service Magic with poor results. The initial sign up fee wasn't too bad, you can target to specific zip codes and specific services (some of which require a contractor license). still the leads were marginal at best. I suppose if you play the numbers game and accept all leads (for a fee) you will get jobs out of it. worthwhile? Not for my time.

3. CAL-LANDSCAPER

CAL-LANDSCAPER LawnSite Member

Service Magic leads have worked out well for me this season.
    The $18 lead fee gets added into the bids to cover costs.
    May or may not work for all, depending on area, type of business, and number of others in same area using them for leads.
    You may get some tire kickers but most leads are genuine.
    You have to qualify to be able to get referred by them.
    You need to be licenced and insured.
    My leads are for landscape installations and renovations, sprinkler systems and repairs, etc, but not for maintenance.
    People are looking on-line for services because they want someone who has been pre-qualified and need services for their landscapes, but do not want to go thru all the newspaper or phone book ads and have to waste their time sorting out the good from the bad.

4. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I appreciate the input, I think I'll give them a try for the landscape installs and renovations. I am down to two weeks of landscape work.

5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I got a call from Servic Magic... Decided not to use them.

6. thill

thill LawnSite Member

During our 1st couple of years. We tried Service Magic and did "purchase" quite a few leads. We landed a much lower percentage of them than we do our other inquiries. We never took the time to find out why but suspect that many of the leads were folks price shopping.

We no longer used them but occasionally get a phone inquiry saying they were referred by Serivce Magic. We are curious why? Coud this mean that they don't have enough qualified vendors in our area?

All in all, we did not find the service worth the cost.

Hope this helps.
    Tom