1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Magna-Matic 8000

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by firefighter, Jan 11, 2003.

1. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

I just got my new grinder, it says to grind the blade at a 30 deg angle. I under stand this is preset with the relation to the stone and the blade. What I don't under stand is, they say to produce a proper tip three reliefs are neccessary. Any HELP on grinding the reliefs ? Also they say the tip cuts the most grass, I think the tip is the end of the blade not the full length of the sharp edge.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

The tip of the blade- meaning the front sharp edges first 1/2-1" cuts the most grass. This is obvious since when its rotating it hits the grass first.
    The angle they refer to on the end (front to back) is actually already built into the blade.

Look at page 20 in your manual.

Relief 1 (Front to back) Built in to blade!

Relief 2 (Front cutting edge) This is the normal edge you sharpen. See how it says end view. The confusing part is that they show 60-degrees. The 60 degrees is measured from vertical (look at the diagram closely). Whats left over from 60-degrees is the angle your actually grinding the blade at.

Relief 3 (built into blade)

Hope this helps. My recommendation is to grind the front edge at the preset angle and dont worry about the other stuff. *Unless your blades front leading edge becomes rounded to the point where you cant grind it straight. See page 20 (unnaceptable blade).

3. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member