Magna-matic: Best way to get a razor edge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Just got my Magna-matic 9000. I can see that it will indeed save some time with superior results. I only played with it for a few minutes, but wondered if there are some simple principles to get a razor edge? Any suggestions on blade angle, dressing blades and so forth to accomplish this would be great. I was fooling with some fairly used blades, and got them to look awsome in a short amount of time, but was not getting the blade ground down to the very edge. They were sharp, but I want to be able cut off fingers just by picking up the blade. Can you say Scalpel?

Thanks guys

Jay

2. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

We just bought one at the EXPO this past year and love it! We only got to use it for sharpening the gator blades during fall clean-up last year but I did pick up a hint that may help you sharpen your blades. WhileI had limited control of the blade since the only pivit point was the sharpening stone so to solve this I simlpy put a small vice grip on plastic base to pivit the blade on giving much better control which equals better results and great blade angle. Hope this helps

Ed

3. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

You may not want to put too much of a sharp angle on the blade, when you hit a stick or something it will be much more likely to take a chunk out of the blade.

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Jay,

since it is a circle grinding the flat blade, you will have to take time until it actually grinds in the arc into the blades surface to get the best grinds. Then, once you get that in, you will be able to get razor sharp grinds. Does Magna Matic still have a forum here? May want to ask them.

5. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Mac

Great point! I played around a bit more, and was able to get a better edge. Once I get a flat spot worn it, I should think it would make for a sharper blade. I did ask over there, but knew I would likely get a great deal more exposure over in this forum.

Ed

Do you put the vice grip on to use it as a guide so that you stay parallel to the table guide edge? Sounds interesting.

Captain

You are right about the sharper the blade, the easier to gouge them. I will likely play around with different angles and degrees of sharpness as time goes on.

I did take the wheel down til it touched the table with the motor off, and then backed it off enough so the wheel moved smoothly. This seemed to produce a sharper edge as well.

Thanks for the input men.
    Jay

6. the 9000 has a cut off edge on the work table...thats the guide you go by to get the correct angle. crack the handle to get the griding wheel down until you just touch the blade .that should give you the correct angle

7. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Jack

Thanks buddy, that makes perfect sense to me.

Jay

8. terracare

wow, you got Ed to post...

Impressive :eek:

Have fun with the blade sharpener, we love it.

Todd

9. terracare

Shady Brook,

Had Ed take a picture today of what he meant. Hope this helps

Todd

magnamatic.jpg

10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial blade grinders are wonderful tools..

BobR