Magna-Matic Mag 8000 Sharpener

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fatboy5803, Mar 28, 2003.

1. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I got one a couple days ago and Wow, what a difference in the Lawns that I mow. I'm more than satisfied with every aspect of the Sharpener. I have never tried another brand sharpener.
    After using a regular bench grinder to this new one is unbelievable.... Anybody have any thoughts on these ???

:cool: Lou :cool:

2. fatboy5803

Hasn't anyone used a Mag-8000 sharpener ? How easy it is to sharpen a blade.. It just blows me away of the speed of this thing. After mowing with the sharpened set, I'm going to sharpen all my new blades. I always checked the new ones for balance, but only trimmed the lift part to balance. Now I'll just sharpen it to balance them. If anybody is thinking of purchasing a sharpener
    I would highly recommend the 8000 :) ............

Lou :cool:

3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial blade sharpeners are the only way to go, angle grinders & bench vises (been there done that) will do the job but not nearly as easily or as well. I also have a commercial unit but it is a Fireball Jr, not as fancy as yours but gets it done just the same. You purchased a fine piece of equipment, enjoy.
    BobR

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I really want one and I hope to get one within the next month or so :)

5. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

The Mag9000 should be sufficient for most LCO's uses & costs much less. I was not impressed by the curved blade feature on the 8000. The extra $$$ also gets you more hp & better grinding positions.

6. fatboy5803

Ultimate Lawn; You're right that the 9000 is good enough for most LCO's, I have found the curved feature very good.. It took more practice with that part of the machine to get used to. The straight blade sharpening part I took on relatively quick.. It's definitely not cheap !! I've got a couple LCO's lined up already to do some sharpening for them. Haven't discussed price yet. Maybe $2.00 - $3.00 / blade, Balanced.. Most dealers here don't use the Mag-1000, they have the cone balancer.. It is so nice to have the capability to do your own blades the right way.. Thanks all for the reply's :)

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Fatboy5803 - do yourself a favor and check around for prices on sharpening & balancing - I think you are way too low.

8. fatboy5803

BobR

9. fatboy5803

BobR,
    My dealer charges $5.00/ blade. I just talked to a new dealer and first he said $5.00, then $3.00 ??? I was kinda feeling him out and they don't seem to be very experienced in the dealership. Not like I'm a Pro !! I do need to check out more places to get prices, I might be called the Scab on sharpening from the dealers ???? :rolleyes:

10. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

Who makes the Fireball Jr grinder, do they have a web site?