Magna-Matic opinion anyone? I would like to know!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KB, Feb 19, 2002.

1. KB

KB LawnSite Member

Please provide any feedback you have on the Magna-matic. I am thinking of buying the 9000 because I cannot sharpen with standard grinding wheel or angle grinder and looking for easier way. There is a lot of hype about the Magna-matic but I want to hear HONESTLY from you guys that have used. Is it as easy as it sounds? Worth the money? Etc. Please sound off! Thanks!

2. plow kid

plow kid Banned

3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Just as Nate said do a search but find out about the other brands also not just the matic. Try Blade Grinders... Marks Mowing Service ps..Wall Enterprises makes a great grinder RBG 218

4. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

I bought a magna-matic last summer. I LOVE IT. It was pricey, but I don't regret it one bit. It goes through grinding wheels faster than other units, but apparently, that is because the wheel is intentionally a little softer, it takes the heat away from the blade by wearing down, prevents over-heating the blade, and speeds up the whole process.

5. CommercialCuts

CommercialCuts LawnSite Member
    from Mo

I use the FIREBALL grinder and the matic balancer the balancer is great but idont know about there grinder setups. The fireball grinder from brandelein machine is fantastic. There all kind of pricey but i think the fireball was the best for the money.

6. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

It looks like there's not too many people here that have MagnaMatic. Seems like most use RGB of Fireball.

7. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

:confused:

Interesting conclusion

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've said it before, Magna-Matic makes a real nice balancer. If their sharpeners are half as good as their balancers, then they'd be OK! I've never used their grinders, but for the price of the bigger one, it better sharpen it all by itself! :(

I personally chose a Brandlein Machine Fireball 300c. When its time to sharpen blades with this, you better be ready, because the Fireball sure is!!!:eek:

9. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

How much for the fireball? How quick can you do a blade that's well maintained?

10. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one at the BBQ last year so it is still pretty new to me, since I had a month left in the season.
    I have only limited use of the RBG grinders so a true comparison I cannot give.
    I am impressed with its speed. After you buy you will spend alot of time getting your blades to the correct angle, but after that it is quick. They claim you can sharpen a blade in a minute, which is true, but having the blade balanced is usually a different story.
    They say that the average person goes thru one grinding wheel a year.
    I dont regret buying it.
    Hope that helped some.