magna-matic or rbg?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B&B LAWN, Oct 18, 2006.

1. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

im looking into purchasing a commercial grinder but need some input on which one to purchase or what brand. ill be sharpening mainly toro walkbehind and walker blades. which setup would be the best?

2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Magna-Matic turns the grinding wheel at a high rate of RPM'S. The Magna-Matic is superior at obtaining the perfect angle. The cut-off edge on the Magna-Matics work platform acts as a guide to achieve the perfect angle. We've used both RBG's and the Magna-Matic's.IMO The Magna-Matic is clearly the superior choice of the two .

3. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Magna matic!!! I've had mine almost 4 years. Its the yellow one that does straight or mulching blades, can't remember the model # but I could get it if you needed. Definetly well worth the money. Definently a time saver. We probably sharpen at least 2 to 3 sets of blades a day. Marc

4. B&B LAWN

if i get the mag-9000 will that sharpen walker blades with no problem?

5. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

I have to throw this question out for you guys who love the magnamatic.

I had asked the question on here about looking for a superior grinder myself. With only 6'7" replying about the magna matic. I was already leaning that way after much searching and reading here and on the www.
    I need to know what replacement wheels you guys use that are not so soft because the ones they send blow. And I need to know how you change the bevel of the mulching blades angle while sharpening so as not to have such a long bevel. With the angle of the bevel they have it set at, I can sharpen it much faster with a 4.5" grinder. As for the flat blades, I just angle the platstic table upwards to alleviate this problem to get a shorter more straight up and down bevel. But can not figure out how to do this for the mulching bladed because you take the table off to grind them. I had thought I had purchased the king of all grinders and have been questioning myself on this purchase of mine. I hope the answer has been right under my nose and someone can help me. Thanks guys.

6. gravedigger5

Chuckie, I have not had much luck finding any other wheels but I only go through about two a year. As far as the angle I just crank the wheel down until it touches the metal stylus and that seems to work well for me on either straight or mulching blades. Marc

7. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

Gravedogger5, Thats what I do with the straight blades, and i still angle the guide table upwards to get the angle we want. But the bevel for the mulching blades is about twice the length I would like. We change our blades every day if not twice a day, so I like to keep it fast. With such a long bevel, the blades nick up fairly quick because the actual cutting edge is so thin. I hate having this expensive machine and trying to convince myself that the 4.5 inich grinder isnt faster for mulching blades. 17 blades a day and some days 32 blades, I thought I would be in heaven with this machine. :hammerhead:

8. gravedigger5

chuckie, I hear ya talkin and understand what your saying . but I don't have many problems with nicking the blades unless I'm picking up a lot of rocks:cry: Even leaves and sticks don't bother me much. I will get back with you this evening after I take a good look at my Mag grinder to see if there is any other posible modifcations other than what you are already doing. (I like to tinker with problems like that:) ) Marc

9. B&B LAWN

so would the mag-9000 be the one to go with

10. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

B&B,

Not so sure i made the right decision yet for all that money. Could buy many different setups for just straight blades that cost half as much, including magna matics straight blade only grinder. Hoping to see a reply were I am doing it wrong or something so I can fix the problem with mulch blades. :confused: