Magna Matic Owners speak up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blessed 1, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Been waiting all winter to purchase a Magna Matic Blade sharpener. All off the local input I am getting from the dealers here are saying they prefer using a hand grinder and cant justify the $580 to get a Mag. Some of you guys that own them help me justify getting one. I was at a end user school for Exmark over the weekend and the instuctor basically said the same. Thanks

2. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

why would you spend $8000 - $10000 on a mower and then contemplate whether or not to spend the dollars on a professional grade blade sharpener and balancer, after all spinning sharp blades is the mowers primary function isn't it.

i have no regrets buying mine.

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can do the same thing with a grinder.... never had any problems with it. (you've got to know how to sharpen it right though). We sharpen ours atleast twice a week during the peak season now.

4. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

since sharpening is so fast and easy (you do not have to know how to sharpen it right, you can't do it wrong) I sharpen mine daily during the peak season.

5. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I agree with kels.
    The benefits I have found are; very easy to use, fast, very consistent results, longer blade life, very professional results & longer mower life ( from balance).

I am happy I spent the money, no regrets.
    :cool2:

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Mag 8000 w/balancer & stand was one of the best investments I've made. Much faster & more accurate than Previous Grinder.

However, I'm not sure if it will be as useful next season as I have ordered a couple sets of Meg-Mo blades. If they work as expected I will be switching over to Meg-Mo's & I'm told they rarely need to be sharpened & sharpen better on a 4" Grinder.

mag8000.jpg

7. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

What do you use you DeWalt DW006 for Ultimate Lawn?

8. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

I got one for Christmas and absolutely love it. No regrets.

9. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Weather one can justify the expense of buying a magnamatic is strictly up to the individual. Everybody's situation is different. I got by with a hand grinder for many years. Not really pleased with the edge I was putting on the blades but it was good enough, especially for some of the lawns I do(basically cow pastures). I took the plunge last summer and got the Magnamatic 9000 and balancer. I went for the stand also. After seeing how this thing sharpens I realized how bad I was sharpening my blades with a hand grinder, and even the cow pastures cut easier because I actually got the right angle and a sharp edge on the blade. In my case, well worth the money.

10. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Now I'm all confused, and my wife is throwing in her 2 cents like she is going to sharpen a blade...............hahaha. Of course you know what she is saying. This is the part when coming together as one and talking about (most) purchases (over $100)before you purchase them comes back to really haunt you......;) :eek: