1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Magna-Matic Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Jul 2, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at getting a mag 1000 and mag 8000 sent down to Australia BAX global but am not sure if its going to be worth it? I mow a lot of Macadamia farms and due to the sandy condtions I may as well have had a sand blaster turned on my blades. I currently use a 5'' hand held grinder but this is taking to long or more to the point I want to be having a beer when i get back home not spending 20mins of my lazy time sharpening blades. Don't get me wrong sharpening my blades is all part of it, But dose it have to be so time consuming? So how do youz who own them find em. Save time, Save a lot of time?
    The next Issue is that of electricity- I think you guys are running 60hz correct? probably going to have to get Magna-matic to find a engine to our specs hey?
  2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't seen anything on MM site about other than States wiring specifics, they are very helpful though, just email any questions to them.

The 20 minutes of blade sharpening time, does that include blade removal and replacement, or only time with a grinder?

To get away from this being a daily chore, consider having a quantity of blades on hand. Enough so you change them out daily, then have a blade sharpening time when you resharpen all at one time.

MM is definitely the ultimate sharpener, quality wise, I do have/use their balancer, can't beat the quality of their product. Just can't convince myself to spend that kind of money when I get a totally satisfactory edge using an angle grinder. That grinder can be used for many other things too.
    And, I'm not a mega sized operation with dozens of blades to deal with ever day. Even if I had/used an MM sharpener, it would 'save' me very little time.

When you have time, how about posting some tales from down under, think we'd find it quite interesting.
  3. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

The 20 min only includes sharpening as have many sets of blades and are constantly alternating. See I run a 72'' SABER 31 LIQUIDE COOLED TURBO D. Yeh shes a beast. But she also an animal on the blades as well and as I said Sandy conditions don't help. But this is the shot for these Macadamia farms.
  4. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello pinnacle,

I believe you have contacted me about this already correct?

We can get you a 50 Hz motor - that is not a problem, and there will be no cost increase - only a lead time increase.

We will do our best in every possible way to accomodate for a customer.

Thank you,
  5. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

This thread reply from gerd is why i do and always will sing the praises of magna matic......You guys have a lifetime custormer in me and i cant praise your products i own and your company enough.
  6. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Thank you for the kind words CO.d 502nd.

We at Magna-Matic are consumers just you all, and we are tired of talking to voice mail - pressing #1 - getting an email after 4 days - or being charged for items that are on backorder, etc.

We just do our best to provide a quality product that performs and standing behind it - we've done so since 1958 and never want to stop!

Thank you,
  7. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

8. H2OandNcutter

H2OandNcutter LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hey pinnacle,

Do what Mr. Bauer suggests. I myself have had dealings with MM and Mr. Bauer. His
    assistance has been greatly appreciated and the speed with which he responds to my
    e-mails is flat-out amazing!

Good luck.