Magna matic uses

Discussion in 'Magna-Matic' started by zapper, Jan 12, 2008.

1. zapper

zapper LawnSite Member

Does the Mag 9000 have any other uses? Can you sharpen anything else such as pocket knives, wood chisels etc?

2. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

3. zapper

zapper LawnSite Member

That sounds great. How about chisels and pocket knives ? Thanks

4. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello,

No it is not designed for those applications. Perhaps if you used a different grinding wheel, but the wheels used for a lawn mower blade are too coarse for a pocket knife (generally speaking).

5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Magna-Matic is a great product but too expensive for the use I have.
    You can get a belt/disc combination sander at Harbor Freight for $60.00 and change the belts and discs in a snap to do what you need to do.

I buy good quality zirconia sanding belts for $1.50 over the Internet and they come in all kind of grits.
    You can even buy a leather belt to finish knifes and other fine edge tools.
    I took me about an hour to make a reversible guide out of a steel corner plate from Home Cheapo to replace the adjustable table and it gives me the proper angle to sharpen my blades, no matter how they are shaped (try that with the Magna-Matic).
    Another benefit is that the belt doesn't accumulate heat so you don't mess up the temper of the blades you are sharpening.

34951.gif

6. zapper

zapper LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information Magna Matic.

Happy Frog would you be so kind to post a pic of the reversible guide you made out of steel plate. I would love to use your idea. Thanks

7. Happy Frog

Here are some pictures (sorry for low quality, I used an old web cam to take them).
    Best of all is that I used the sander to make the guide...
    I use the original table bolt/handle to fix my home made guide on the sander so I can switch between them in a snap.
    The belt on the sander is a 40 grits Zirconium belt which I used to make the guide and sharpen my blades.
    I used a 120 grits carbide disc to finish and square the angles. It's the same disc I use to "soften" the cuting edge of my blades if needed (too sharp is not good).
    The guide I made reproduce the original edge angle of the Fusion blade I use (about 34°) and is reversible so I can sharpen blades of all shapes (I use it most as shown in picture #3).
    Total cost of this project: $70.00 with tax

Like I said, Magna-Matic have great products but this works better for me.

Belt Sander 1.jpg

Belt Sander 2.jpg

Belt Sander 3.jpg

Belt Sander 5.jpg

8. Happy Frog

Here are two more pictures...

Belt Sander 4.jpg

Belt Sander 6.jpg

9. zapper

zapper LawnSite Member

Thanks so much Happy Frog. I am going to use your design.

10. Happy Frog