Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jun 28, 2007.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, the UPS guy delivered my new Magna-Matic 9000 blade sharpener a little while ago. I'm getting ready right now to go out and open the box, and find a place for it on my workbench. Will let everyone know how I like it in a few days. Worst thing is, I only have one set of dull blades! :cry: :)
  2. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

Out of curiosity. Is there a warning to only run the grinder on a dedicated 30amp circuit? I recently bought an Oregon 1 1/2 HP grinder, and it states that if a dedicated 30amp circuit isn't used, it could damage the motor. I have to get my garage re-wired just so I can use it. I only have 15amp breakers and wiring in my garage.
  3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'd have to double-check, but I am sure it says a 15 amp circuit in the literature, and I don't recall anything about a dedicated circuit but the motor is much smaller than yours (just noted on my invoice that for 2007, they have replaced the 1/2 horse with a 3/4 horse).

I'm not an electrician, but I'm thinking the reason behind the dedicated circuit is to insure proper amperage/voltage when starting the motor. I know low voltage can damage electric motors. I'd ask an electrician before I spent a bunch of money. If your wiring is of sufficient gauge (and I'm betting it is) you might be able to just pop in a 30 amp breaker and make sure nothing else is running on that circuit when you use the grinder.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

MAN YOU WILL LOVE THAT GRINDER,it rocks hey it only hurts a little the money you will never miss it.
  5. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

30 amps?! that's a lot. I don't think it'll damage the motor. If it actually does draw that amount of amps, which I don't think it does.. you'll just keep popping your 15amp breakers.

Run the grinder a bit, then feel the breaker....if it's HOT, then you should do something. If it runs fine without poppin the breaker, and the breaker is still cool.. your fine.

If you have 15amp breakers, you probably have 14-2 wire. I would replace the 14-2 with 12-2 wire, and keep the 15 amp breaker. You can always 'over-do' the wire, but don't over-do the breaker.

I'm not an electician, but I know 'some' basics.
  6. Juan_Deere

I have 14 gage wire, which means I can't pop a 30amp breaker and call it good. I am not willing to risk running the grinder, because the paper didn't seem like a suggestion, it seemed like more of a warning. It wasn't just mixed in with the instructions. It was a single piece of paper, placed on top of everything else, that you are forced to see as soon as you open the box, and it has a big STOP hand signal on it.

I still don't understand why builders are allowed to do the electric the way do, even if they are cookie cutter houses. In my opinion, your garage should have 20amp minimum wiring and breakers. That is where you operate all the tools after all. And it's pretty hard to make sure nothing else is running on a certain circuit. Just about everything is tied togethor.
  7. Juan_Deere

Yeah, I have a book on home wiring. I am thinking of re-doing the wiring myself, as I have informed some electricians of my plans, and none seem interested in the job. I think they are too busy building new homes and making more money. If I am not mistaken, I can do the work myself as long as I get the permits, follow the codes, and have the job inspected. I think this would be a good time to add some dedicated outlets, throw in a 220 for a good size compressor and put in a receptacle for a generator.
  8. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

That I wouldn't do. Having an under rated wire on a 30-amp breaker is a fire hazard. If he has a 15amp breaker.. I bet that wire is 14-2.

14-2 is white
    12-2 is yellow. (well, it is now)

For a 30 amp breaker.. you may have to go up to 10-2. More copper = more $$$.

As stated earlier, it might use 30 amps on startup. Go ahead, wire it up. I myself can wire a whole house, but I refuse to touch the panel. I rewired my 1900's colonial with all 12-2, and left the wires hanging in the basement for an electrician to pop em in the panel. Just becareful. Do all the wiring, and get someone who's experienced to do the panel work.
  9. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

I Bought my 9000 in 2003, it's been just about trouble free. It's only malfunctioned once, the on\off switch went bad in 2006. You'll get years of trouble free service out of your new 9000.
  10. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

If it calls for a 30 amp circuit 10/2 with ground is the minimum size I would use, and that depends on the distance from your panel. Can you rewire it for 220V?