1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lildog132, May 26, 2004.

1. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

Im very much looking into buying the magna-matic blade sharperner. I was wondering If I should buy the Mag-8000 or the Mag-9000. The Mag-8000 is almost double the amount of the Mag-9000. Any suggestions? thanks
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

That, IMHO is somthing that Magna-Matic needs to work on.

A GRAND and change is just too much money for me. And I like to spend my money!

But wait....there's more......you get a FREE BONDHUS 1/8 T-Handle Hex Wrench......It slices, it dices..... :)
  3. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

Get some opinions from persons who have used and own one. From what I've heard they had wished they spent the money much, much earlier.

Worth every penny of the investment.
  4. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 9000 and wouldn't give it up for nothing. It has changed the cut and effort the mower uses. I personally didn't feel the need to spend extra "G" on. I will tell you this. When my shop is complete at my new house I am buying a stand to put the complete unit on. I am tired of cleaning the work bench off then the floor.

5. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I set a goal last year to get a Mag out of my tax refund. It was a considerable investment but worth every penny. I have the 8000 model. I some times wish I had the 9000 because this year I because of the drought here I am still muching with my 48" HP. After your first sharpening it takes only 1-2 min/blade to sharpen. I LOVE THAT! Being a part time cutter when I get off work (6 days a week) the last thing I want to do is have to spend a lot of time sharpening blades. I change blades at least 1-2 times a week so it has been a wise investment for me. If you run mostly mulching blades I suggest getting the 8000. If you mostly use straight or high lift blades the 9000 will get the job done. I baught mines from Capt. Devo and that saved me another $50. I hope this helps!:cool:
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Blessed 1,

I believe you have your Magna-Matic model numbers mixed up!

The 8000 is the $1000 grinder and can sharpen mulching blades.
    The 9000 is the $580 grinder.

Kinda odd that the numbers are backwards in succession.
  7. Blessed 1

You are so right! The time expired before I could fix my mistake. I have the 9000 model!
  8. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

How does it work? Do you just insert the blade in and it does it itself, or do u have to slide it by hand?
  9. Blessed 1

You slide in and and out by hand. I keep a pair of safety glasses and gloves right next to it so when the bug hits me I sharpen a couple of sets!