Magnet Signs on a trailer with rivets?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Smithers, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, i did a search, but nothing relevent came up, so here is my question.

I am ordering magnetic signs for my truck from a company online. I need 3 for the truck and 3 for the trailer. The trailer ones are going to be bigger.

The problem is that they said, "You can't not use magnetic signs if there are rivets/bolts on the surface". my trailer is covered with rivets.

What do i do for sings on the trailer? I can NOT have vinyl or Permanent signs becuase there is a rule in my area that i can't have a commercial trailer in the yard - period. This way, i can say that the trailer is used for personnal use, not for commercial.

So, if i had magnetic signs, i'd take them off before coming home.

Please let me know what options i have. Thanks a lot, guys.

2. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of rivits you got, are the head's rounded, then they will stick fine. Even if they are not as long as the sides of the magnet are not on rivits I don't think you will have a problem. or you can cut holes in your magnets so that the rivits go through but that will not look good.

3. Smithers

they are actually screws with funky head - one that can not be unscrewed easily. i think the head is hex or octagonal (8 sides)..

they are i'd guess 3/8"-1/2" wide and stick out about 1/4" off the surface. I'd guess.

cutting the magnet will not work. the nuts/rivets are every 6-8 inches longitudinally and a row every 12" or so.

The trailer is covered, so i don't remember exactly.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

The major problem with mag signs is you gotta have them flat against the truck/trailer, or else the wind will yank them right off. I imagine they say no rivits because it will create leading edges for the wind to yank off. As long as you have an area on the trailer that the signs can go up against and be flat and smooth, you should be fine.

5. Smithers

tom, i understand that....but that;s the problem. i have rows and rows of rivets on the trailer. nowhere can i find a 10x10 area with nothing but flat surface. what do you use on the trailer?

6. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Does your homes association or city or whatever really buy that your 12' enclosed trailer and $7k in mowers is jsut for "personal use"?

Signs don't make the differernce between personal and private.

But -- hey If they're buying it now. I wouldn't mess that up.

I would just get signs for the truck. If you wanted to add signage to the enclosed trailer -- Just do it on the back. Rivet on a a blank piece of metal large enough for the magnet to stick to on the back door and then remove it when you get close to your house.

7. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Is your trailer metal or alumumum? My bet is alumunum, and magnetic signs want stick to start with. Check it out before you waste money on signs you can use.

8. Smithers

crap....you might be right. it is aluminum. what do you guys do in this case? J Fisher, thanks for remind me. i was going to just order them before checking it out. damn, you saved me some money. thanks.

Do i have any othe choice? Can i even put anything else but the vinyl?

Hamons, i live in a neighborhood, not in association. They dont really see the equipment in the enclosed trailer. they only see me cutting grass (my neighbors) with a big mower. my neighbors know that i do that on the side, and dont seem to care.

so, i dont have any other option? but to put signs only on the truck? that is not what i wanted to hear.

9. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Adding the metal would still work and if done well would look good even when blank.

10. Smithers

jeff, i am sorry, i dont understand what you are trying to say "adding metal"...what kind of metal should i add?

sorry about that.