1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

magnetic signs

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Brendan Smith, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

just purchased 4 magnetic signs for $85.00. turns out a friend of mine has a friend who works at a graphics place, same day service, and he delivers them to my house at the end of the day. i didn't want to get decals, because i already catch enough crap at my regular job for pulling the trailer to work. this way i can take them off while at the crap factory. thought it was a pretty good deal, best offer i had from other places was $135.00 for 3. i kind of doubt they'll generate business, but it will make me feel better anyway :weightlifter: .

lets see how long it takes someone to steal them, or have them blow off...
  2. Greenohio

Greenohio LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

We got magnets for the same exact reason, now DH will be laid off as of July 1st, so I dont think he cares. That is a great price, can you get me thier info so I can order for that price?
  3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't think they will retail for the same price, as it was a favor from a friend. i think normal retail on 4 is $120.00, and i don't want to get the guy in trouble. pm me if you want and i'll check for you if you're serious.
  4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I got my 2 magnets for $58 from kinkos. Go check them out..
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You may wish to know that HEAT kills magnetism.

So, as you stick these signs on your truck and the sun pounds on them, your signs will gradually lose their sticky magic over time.
  6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

not to mention how they do such a great job of scuffing your clear coat to a point that you can't buff it out..........i'm putt'n magnet on my dump trailer and leaving my truck paint clean..........its got wooden sides on the back for signs (go'n on monday)

if you go magnet route, try to come up with something different, i know they're easy to just slap on there but sometimes i think it just looks cheap vs something nicely printed and mounted..........but i've both
  7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

The paint on my '04 truck is just fine after the magnets...

The magnets hold fine with the sun beating down on them... They don't need to have any super duper 1,000 lb holding power. Just some light magnetism and you are fine.
  8. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

We have magnetic signs on a few excavators at work, the body panels get hot from just running it, and even hotter in the sun. Not to mention being brushed against trees and brush and dirt. Never had a problem with one coming off. doesnt take much to hold a little sign on.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i just had some magnets made up from www.buildasign.com, and paid 135 for 6 12X24 magnets. they show a price of like 85 bucks for 3 of them, ill snap some pcs of mine if you would like to compair quality, i think they are top notch, and were made, and shipped in like 2 days.
  10. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I had just the opposite effect. Seems the heat has actually made the magnets adhere like super glue. When I went to remove them they started to delaminate on the back side tearing the back of the sign leaving peices on the truck. I know they are quality signs utilizing some 3M technology, but I'm pissed about the adhesion problem.

Last signs I got years ago, didn't stay on very well at all.