Magnetic Signs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ken50, Jul 31, 2004.

1. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I was just wondering what type of response you get from the magnetic signs on your trucks. I have never had one person call me because they saw my sign, except for someone that wanted to apply for a job with me. All my business has come from word of mouth, postcards that I sent out in the springtime, my newpaper ad in the service directory, and neighbors just walking up to me while I was working. Flyers were a complete bust, probably because I didn't put the effort into designing a professional flyer. I know the signs help from a name recognition standpoint, but I was just wondering how your response rates were on magnetic signs.

2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I have had 2 people call me because of my signs. One turned out to be a 1000 mulch job and the other is a weekly mowing. The weekly mowing lady has also got her neighbor to sign up with no incentives. AKA no free mowing for her. Even if you dont get jobs from your signs, they are still good to have.

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

my signs have paid off several times, but my car sticks out like 2 highlighters at KFC, plus police like to see a lettered truck, i find that they are more likley to leave you alone with the signs.

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

back of the dakota

5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

that

was

great

6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

And that is true!

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've only had one person actually say they read my sign as they were passing me on the road. But others have seen me mowing their neighbors house and written the number down.

A lot of people don't really know their neighbors, so I don't know if they would be inclined to walk over and knock on someone's door to find out who does the lawn. That's where the signs come in.

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Lets see. Signs. Yes. For one you don't have every tom dick and harry stoping you to ask for a quote. They see the number call set up an appointment or leave a voice mail so I can call them back. I had one lady, next door to an account of mine, say what ever it costs I want my yard like that, via voice mail. Landed a premium job. Yep because of signs.
    As Bill Engaval(sp) would say!!!!! "Here's Your Sign!"

9. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

I have new signs on my truck but the only call I've gotten so far was a lady who said I just cut her off in traffic . ha ha! I asked her where and when she told me I apologized and explained to her that I pull out from that street all the time and it is a blind curve she was coming around and I could not see her. She kiddingly said she would forgive me in exchange for a free japanese maple. I told her i'd give her a good deal on reg service but she declined!

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

In the state of Michigan, at least, you are supposed to have your truck permanently lettered. I've never had a problem with having magnetic signs. I use my truck for personal use as well, so it's kinda of a necessity to have signs.

As far as effectiveness goes. I think when people see a lco who identifies themselves as a business by signing/lettering their vehicle, they feel more comfortable with them. You look more professional, people know you are a business and not Joe Weekend trying to make some extra cash, you identify yourself. I think the benefits are many and almost a necessity to have your vehicle lettered/signed. Whether or not you are looking for more work. I've been booked full for 2 months, turning down work, but I still have my signs on every day.