1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

magneto failure?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Jul 11, 2004.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Have any of you guys out there had the magneto aka coil, on a Kawasaki engine die early? I have a really hard time getting the 15hp engine on my Bob-Cat (which I love) started when it is cold. When it is warm, it starts on one pull, and it runs really smooth, so I think something in the ignition has failed. I am planning to take it to the dealer next week. The engine only has 50 hrs on it.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Welcome to the world of the kawi. I have never owned a kawi that wasnt hard to start when it was 70 or under. Kohlers start nice and easy.
  3. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 15 hp Kawi's and a 25hp. One 15 is electric and starts pretty good and the pull start always starts 1 or 2 pulls hot or cold as long as you use the choke. My 25 started acting up this spring and the dealer thouht it was coil on left side cause that side was not firing right ( I could pull plug wire off under load and not make much difference) Supposedly Kawi had a very few problems with left side coils. Ended up being idle jet on left port of carburator. You can tell if it is a carb issue when you start it cold put your hands on both exhaust pipes, if one gets hotter alot faster than the other the cold side is probably your problem. Marc
  4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two 15hp Kawasakis. Both of the engines had to have the magnetos replaced under warranty. They actually went within a month of eachother.
  5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The single cylinder 14hp motors are hard starting. The 15hp twins are real easy. At least the two machines I have. And yes the 2 kawis that I have had expierienced have a short life on the coils. But it will not change how they start if they go bad, it just wont start period.