Magnolia Leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cgaengineer, Oct 22, 2007.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I cut my first lawn with a magnolia tree. How do you guys deal with these trees? I did my best to chop up the leaves but those little seed pods or whatever they are were flying everywhere. After mowing I blew all the leaves into the woods as they instructed.

This will not be a weekly thing for me as it was a charity mow for a dying family member.
  2. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I would cut down and burn every Manolia tree in the country if I could. I despise them thangs
  3. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I mulch them. No problem. Big Blocks Rule!!!!!
  4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Well some of the leaves shredded, but it was the cones that didnt...they just shot out from under the deck!
  5. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

well, i cut for a guy in Louisiana that has a magnolia tree, and lord them lil pod things will bag, but only the ones on the top layer. the leaves arent a problem its jus those fu**** cone/pod/?? things.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

another job for the snapper hi vac and gator blabe-just run them over and they are gone
  7. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

yeah but that gator blade isnt ment for baggin, jus discharge. if it does a good job with baggin, then do u know if that mulchin-gator blade would be as good for baggin as the blade that comes with the 21" toro heavy duty recycler. cause i was thinkin of gettin it 2 get a better mulch, but i was told that it wont bag as good, and i wanna have a good bag if imma bag.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Strangely enough I had more accounts with Magnolias in MD than I do here in NC. I just mulch 'em and blow the chips back under the tree. In the fall I come along and remove the loose chips along with the rest of the leaves from the account. They make excellant mulch.